Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momo8789 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2014, 11:26 AM
    Tap into main drain line for rain water
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me if its possible to tap into the main drain line for my house which is cast iron. I want to install french drains in the yard due to sloped yard and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to connect the french drain to the main drain for the house. My house is on a raised foundation so all the pipes are easy to get to. Thanks in advance for any inputs
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2014, 11:55 AM
    That would be illegal to pipe rain runnoff into the sewer pipes in some localities. So knowing what country, state and City might let us find out if its legal or not where you are.n
    momo8789 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2014, 12:31 PM
    Im in national city, CA
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2014, 12:58 PM
    Probably illegal but check with your water department. They do not want to treat rainwater.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 21, 2014, 04:56 PM
    They may let you tie a french drain into their storm sewers if they have them, but not your sewage line. Maybe you can install a sump pit in the ground and pump/pipe the water out to the curb

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where can I get outside rain water drain cover replacement 1'X2' [ 3 Answers ]

Rain water drain cover replacement

Water comes up through floor drain during rain? [ 1 Answers ]

During heavy rain, my basement floods with about three inches of clean, non-smelly water up through the floor drain, which is about six inches square. I have stood and watched this water come up. I had the drain snaked and the auger came back up with mud (broken trap?). Can I solve this problem by...

Main sewer drain line [ 4 Answers ]

I busted up the floor in our basement to put in a bathroom. I was going to tie into the main drain line about 5 feet from the stack and replace the base of the stack. I also wanted to change the existing floor drain which ties in 5 feet further down the line. I busted it all out and the main drain...

Basement drain backing up with rain water? [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in 1937. There's a basement drain near one corner that has never flooded. I have a dehumidifier parked over the top of it that drains into it (and has done so for about 10 years; I've also drained hot water tank and boiler into it as needed, so it works). The last two heavy...

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

View more questions Search