Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mistergreens Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2014, 08:08 PM
    Wiring for ceiling fan with dual switch AND remote?
    I have a dual switch on my wall (one face place with two half size switches) with one controlling the light and one for the fan.

I would like like to replace my current fan with one with a remote and somehow keep both dual switch and all remote functionality. I understand that the wall switch for the light would need to be on in order for the light button on remote to work, and same for fan. That's fun with me.

But how do I wire the remote into my ceiling when I have three wires from my ceiling somehow needing to connect to two wires from remote?

White/blue/black from remote would all match up with white/blue/black from fan, but that leaves only a single white and black left from remote to now connect to three wires in my ceiling (white neutral, fan hot, light hot).

Can I just connect the light hot wire from ceiling into the blue remote / blue fan splice so all light wires are in one wire nut? Not sure if this is safe or if it will even work. Is what I want to accomplish possible here?

Any my help is appreciated!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 21, 2014, 05:31 AM
    Replace dual wall switch with regular single switch. Connect white to white. Connect the blacks to switch. Put a wire nut on the red.
    At the ceiling, connect white to white. Connect black to black of remote. Put a wire nut on red.
    Connect the black/blue/white of remote to black/blue/white of fan/light.
    mistergreens Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2014, 05:46 AM
    Thanks for the response hkstroud, but I would like to keep the dual switch so I have a wall switch for both the light and the fan individually. When, and only when both these switches are on, would I then have full remote functionality. That's the goal.

Is this possible? See pic below. The white wire on the left is neutral. The white wire on the right (should probably be red, but is a hot white wire) powers the fan, while the black wire powers the light. How do I connect these three wires to the two wires on remote receiver?

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 646
Size:  126.7 KB
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring diagram for dual switch ceiling fan [ 4 Answers ]

OK... I know asked 100 times before... but could someone make sense of this for me. I just about get it... then all the colors start giving me nightmares and I loose it. Here's what I have Power source Black and white wire White connects to switch plates red wire Black power source...

Wiring a new ceiling fan to dual wall switch. [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a ceiling fan with a light. I had a ceiling fan before connected to a wall switch that controls the fan on left side with a click for each speed. The right side pushes in and out to turn off light only. It also dims the light with a smooth turn. The new fan and light both come on when...

How do I wire a dual switch ceiling fan with a remote control. I am very confused. [ 1 Answers ]

I have the old fan off and now I wired the new fan and it doesn't work. Can someone tell me what order the wires go. I have a red, white, black, and green coming out of the ceiling. This fan has a remote control that has to be wired in also. HELP!!

Remote control ceiling fan dual switch [ 0 Answers ]

I just installed a Hunter ceiling fan with a remote control. I have dual switches on the wall right next to each other - one controls light power and the other fan power. I have 3 romex wires entering/leaving the outlet box. Two have one black, white and copper wire each and the other has a red,...

Can you wire ceiling fan for dual switch and still use remote? [ 9 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan that has a remote that works fine. However, when entering the room, I would like to turn the light on with the wall switch rather than the remote at night. I keep the remote at the nightstand. Existing setup is two switches on wall at entrance that use to control one for fan...

View more questions Search