Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bordercollie80 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2014, 06:06 PM
    Looking for a dog breed...
    Hi there!! I am searching for a new dog, but I'm not sure if what I'm looking for exists... But no shame in asking! Here goes. I want to show in agility and obedience, and though I have never done it before, I have the training under control (I have also found a few agility clubs nearby). I would like the breed to be very loyal, too. I'm sure you have many dogs in mind right now... Aussie, ACD, border collie, German shepherd, and the list goes on. But my yard is rather small (yes, it's fenced in) . I will be gone from at least 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM five days a week more than half the year; I'm in grade school. The new dog would definitely have a doggie buddy while I am gone, but only one (most likely). So, in other words I want Loyalty, Smarts, and Agility in the dog, but I have a small yard and will be gone much of the day. I was looking at the sheltie... What do you think about that?? Any other breeds you can think of off the top of your head?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 19, 2014, 06:11 PM
    You have a dog now? If so, does someone take it for walks and pottying when you're not at home?
    bordercollie80 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2014, 06:41 PM
    Yes, two. They stay outside, though, in the yard.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 20, 2014, 02:58 AM
    You have two dogs at home who are always outside, how do they interact with you and your family. Are they actually pets, or just 'dogs in the yard'?

You want a dog to show, but have no background in training or how to treat a dog. Sorry, buddy, you have a long way to go and I absolutely would not recommend a dog to you until you prove to be a responsible caring dog owner.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Aug 20, 2014, 04:25 AM
    It doesn't sound like you have room for another dog. I suggest learning the basics by training your current dogs. Larry (from another post) who is a German Shepherd Dog mix would be a good candidate. GSDs and their mixes tend to have everything you are looking for in a beginning partner.

If you haven't already, start with the basics of obedience training.

Why are the current animals outside dogs? What would be different for a new dog? If there are two dogs in residence why would the new dog have only one "doggie buddy"?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 20, 2014, 05:05 AM
    I think 'small fenced in yard' and 'gone most of the day' precludes almost all breeds.
    And if your plan is to go to competitions with this dog, you need more time in your day to train.
    AND, last but not least, some of the best dogs for agility need to run.

My vote: you are not prepared for this.

My last dog was a golden retriever who was being given away by a teenage boy when the dog was 8 months old. The dog had spent all the long hours that the boy was in school (and soccer practice and who knows what else) on a third floor porch in a city. I enjoyed taking him for long runs just about every day to make up for all that deprivation. Please don't do the same thing, no matter how much you love dogs.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2014, 06:34 AM
    Yard size is negligble in my opinion. I have a high energy terrier and a Great Dane, and I have no yard. It's all in how you exercise and stimulate them mentally.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What breed of dog would be best? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi there. I am researching different types of breed and I am looking for an intelligent, easily trainable dog that's doesn't smell or drool, has minimal shedding, makes a good companion, doesn't bark too frequently and is not too large. It will be my first time having a dog. Do you have any...

What breed is this dog? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello guys! I'll need your expertise in this matter.. want to buy one like this.. Any ideas? Please help? http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j464/karlmartin904/whichdogbreedisthis_zps1addc91c.jpg

Dog breed debate. Purebred or Designer breed? [ 20 Answers ]

Since this debate started in another thread, I thought I'd start a new thread to allow members to continue discussing this topic, without continuing to hijack another thread. :) The debate on what makes a dog purebred has been going on for a long time. I'm not the best to explain this, but I'll...

What breed of dog, is my dog Annie? [ 10 Answers ]

Can you help me figure out what kind of dog Annie is? The rescue told me that she was a shepherd mix, but what else? She is the sweetest dog. I have had for over 2 years. She was abused by someone and is terrified of people. She loves other dogs, especially her brother Nicky. It took me over...

What breed of dog? [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone know what kind of dog the little white dog in the Caesar dogfood commercial is? Riding in the convertible with it's owner?

View more questions Search