Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikemoraites61 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2014, 02:20 PM
    Copper to aluminum
    I have a run of aluminum that is connected to a copper line from the panel. Is it better to replace the whole run or just have a electrician make the connections in the junction box correctly?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2014, 04:05 PM
    What is a "run of Aluminum" -A cable or the service lead to the panel? All SER wires to the house are aluminum.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2014, 05:31 AM
    I will always prefer that aluminum and copper cables are not mixed. They can be connected in an acceptable manner, but I would still recommend they are not mixed...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper to Aluminum and Grounding [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to install a new light fixture to an older existing box. The box is copper, the fixture is aluminum. How do I attach them safely? Also I have two grounding wires coming into my box. Is that normal? Do I need to attach both of them to the grounding wire on fixture is do I need to...

Aluminum main panel to copper sub panel with aluminum wire? [ 7 Answers ]

I am upgrading branch wires in a house from aluminum to copper. Replacing all boxes... switch/outlet/receptacle/lighting, etc.. The house currently has a main panel (or lug not sure which.. maybe lug because there is no "main" breaker) next to the meter. The main panel is aluminum rated and has...

Aluminum to Copper ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My mother-in-laws house built in the late 50's has Aluminum wiring throughout. I need to run a new leg ( one-20 amp outlet) from an existing circuit, 20amp AL 12-2/g. Can I do this with copper 12-2/g or need to run new circuit from panel. Also what about GFI outlets on aluminum?

Copper vs aluminum [ 8 Answers ]

I am in the process of building a house and my electrician seems to favor using aluminun wire for some aspects of the house wiring and pushes back when I suggest copper in these instances. First the 200A underground supply cable from the meter to the panel (maybe about 70 feet). He says copper...

Aluminum or copper? [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I recently acquired a hot tub. We would like to install every ourselves but are totally green on the subject. So, we have decided to at least purchase the materials and have an electrician just hook it up to the box. What type of wire should we buy. I know it is 6/3 but the hardware...

View more questions Search