Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    3271lisa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2014, 09:45 AM
    Charitable Donations
    Our church choir is taking a trip and will be having several fundraisers. If someone underwrites the cost of food, beverage, etc. can they take that as a charitable donation? Also, if someone wants to donate money (NOT to a specific person, just for the trip, as a whole) is that considered a charitable donation?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 19, 2014, 11:16 AM
    Yes to both questions.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2014, 11:03 PM
    No doubt there are some rules about such things if you want a tax deduction
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 22, 2014, 05:54 AM
    paraclete - what rules are you thinking about? Assuming teh OP is in the US, donations to a church are tax-deductible (within the limits of how much an individual may deduction as charitable giving on his/her tax return). The church should of course provide a receipt stating that no goods or services were provided in exchange for the donation, but other than that I see no issues here.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 23, 2014, 03:54 AM
    As long as the funds are being paid to the Church, and not given to a specific person. The church gives them reciepts for the donations and forwards the money to the choir.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Charitable Gambling [ 1 Answers ]

We are a non-profit organization raising monies for charity. We are in the process of receiving our 501(c)3. We run two raffles and a silent auction during a year. Do we need to have 15 members on our board? And would we be required to purchase a gambling license ?

Charitable Donations question for tax return [ 1 Answers ]

My Adjusted Gross Income is approximately $47K (I say approximately because I switched jobs last year to a higher salary, so this is a guesstimate). Last year, my refund was about $900. I always take the standard $250 deduction for charitable organizations, but this year I am considering donating a...

Charitable Contributions [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a church treasurer. A member has given a check for $10,000 for a building fund campaign and wants us to send him a receipt for $5,000 in 2007 and $5,000 in 2008. The donor obviously wants to take $5,000 for tax purposes in each of the two years. While I could set it up this way on the church...

Large Amounts of Charitable Donations [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to help a friend who donated large amounts of small dollar value items to an animal shelter last year. Some were dollar store items, some were larger items like food, medical supplies & small cost equipment. The total value (based on her purchase price) totaled over $6000. How do I...

Charitable Contributions [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Gospel Music Band. I have not applied for non-profit status although the real income is much less the $10,000 a year. An individual has expressed a desire to donate a Bus for us to travel in, however, they would like to write it off as a donation to this ministry. Is this possible?

View more questions Search