Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amandalw79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    HR

Aug 18, 2014, 06:52 AM
    Offsite Employees & Workerman's Comp
    I recently started with a company who has several offsite & out-of-state (various states) employees who work from their homes. Does the company need to get separate workman's comp insurance?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 18, 2014, 08:04 AM
    Yes, unless you and the other employees in your state are exempt (under the law of your state), your employer needs to have workers compensation insurance for its employees in your state.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 18, 2014, 01:28 PM
    Aside from the different states already answered:
    Employees working at a desk at home are as low a risk as can be and are rated as such. The comp auditor will set the rates for each category. Anyone who is an employee has to be covered by comp. If they are not an employee, they are a contractor, and contractor is a term with many IRS requirements, only one of which is not working on the company's property. Another (of many) is that the contractor have his own insurance, and another is that he have more than one work source of income.
    Maybe you know this; wasn't sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it legal to change full-time employees into part-time employees? [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to know how legal could be changing emplyees' schedulles without notice them before. I was working 40 hours each week since I started in my present job. They have been decreasing the number of hours for some employees. At this moment I'm working 32 hours each week, with 3 days off....

Employees ganging up on other employees [ 1 Answers ]

I am an owner of a small hotel, I have been informed today that the housekeeping staff are planning to 'make' the new front of house person leave because they don't like her pointing out things that they are not doing, which they are supposed to be doing. How do I deal with it? If this does...

Access Exchange Mailbox from offsite [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have an exchange email account and is configured on my laptop. At work I connect wirelessly and download my emails straight to ms outlook 2003 on my laptop. Now I'm out of the office (offsite) and can connect to the internet but cannot connect to the exchange server to access my mail box....

Market structure: Perfect comp, monopolistic comp, oligopoly and monopoly [ 1 Answers ]

Market structure: Perfect comp, monopolistic comp (imperfect comp), oligopoly and monopoly. What elements of market structure really matters? What are the elements suggested by the 2 extreem (perfect comp and monopoly) and the 2 intermediate (monopolistic comp and oligopoly) that really matter?

What's up with my comp [ 1 Answers ]

hi my partner has an xbox 360 me and my niece were watching a movie on it white chicks which I love any way after we watched it I had to pick up my son later that evening my son wanted to watch the movie in his room but for some reaon the x box would not come on even thought it was fine when we...

View more questions Search