Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Double0Lester Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2007, 05:29 PM
    After a Tenant 30 Day Notice (CA)
    Hello,

There is a little bit of history to this question, and I'm not sure what parts are important, so I'll start from the beginning. (This is in California). Rather than try to make a full story I'll just list the important events. It's not as complicated as it looks, please read through. :)

1. May 2006: I moved into an apartment as a sublet to a person I'll call John.
    2. August 2006: Eventually I also signed onto the lease, which is month-to-month.
    3. November 2006: John signed off the lease and moved out.
    4. December 28 2006: I gave a 30 day notice, so 30 days is Jan 28th.
    5. January 28 2007: I didn't find a new place I liked in 30 days and extended my notice with the real estate company another 30 days (they were fine with that). So now my 30 day end date is Feb 28th 2007.
    6. February 9 2007: John is looking for a place to stay after being out of the country for a while, so I tell him he can move back in and I sign a form to add him back to lease (while he is still out of the country).
    7. February 15 2007: I move out.
    8. February 21 2007: I give John the keys and he moves back in.
    9. February 28 2007: The thirty days expire. John never completes the form I signed earlier for him to take over the lease. The real estate company never contacts me about me not returning the keys to them by the 30 days.
    12. March 1 2007: John pays rent for March.
    13. March 10 2007: John moves out of the apt and doesn't give a 30 day notice.
    14. April 4 2007: John lets me know that the real estate company still thinks I am responsible for paying rent on the apt.
    15. April 5 2007: I talk to the real estate company, and they do think I'm still responsible for paying rent. In fact they want a new 30 day notice and another 30 days of rent. I give them a new notice and a check for rent. (Maybe I shouldn't have done that).
    16. April 6 2007: The keys have yet to be returned to the real estate company.

So my questions are: Should I cancel that check? Are they trying to make me pay for their mistake?

My impression of the way a 30 day notice works was that after those 30 days I wouldn't ever be responsible for paying any more rent. Is that right? The real estate company is telling me that since I didn't turn in the keys by the 30 days they assume I'm staying and keep me on a month-to-month lease which requires another 30 day notice to terminate.

I knew there was some risk leaving the keys with someone else while I was on the lease, but my impression was that if John wanted to live there past the 30 day notice he was going to have to get himself back on the lease, or somehow my 30 day notice would need to be canceled which would require my signature somewhere. So the risk I thought I was undertaking was that John would run away with the keys and I might have to pay for the lock work, but I didn't think I would end up being asked for more rent.

It sounds shady to me that the real estate company wants more rent. I could imagine some penalty for not returning the keys on time, but what they're telling me doesn't sound right. Maybe I'm wrong though, so I would really appreciate advice.

Thanks!
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Apr 6, 2007, 05:37 PM
    It looks like the real estate company is right. By not returning the keys you never delivered possession of the apartment back to the real estate company. Since you had been leaving, then staying, then leaving, then someone else staying, they had no reason to think that the apartment had been emptied, particularly since no one returned the keys. The real estate company didn't have any obligation to contact you and say "where's the keys?"

Also, the fact that someone paid rent for March effectively nullified your notice for Feb. 28th. So you would have to give a new 30-day notice now and since we're already into April, that means that you would have to pay April and May rent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

30 day notice [ 1 Answers ]

We had a lease that expired on June 30 of 2006. We then went to month to month agreement. So now we want to move and gave a 30 day notice on the 12th of jan. 07 and our landlord is saying we have to give the 30 days at the beginning of the month. Is she wrong or right. We live in Wisconsin. We told...

Notice to Tenant [ 1 Answers ]

I have a tenant in Fort Pierce, FL who is currently 2 months past due. Their lease expired in November of '06. The property management company stopped collecting payment from the tenants since the lease expired. They did not notify me that they would stop managing the property in November. I...

Notice to tenant [ 4 Answers ]

I received a 3 day notice to tenant. If I do not pay the rent do I need to vacate in three days or do I have thirty days?

Previous tenant in violation of 30 day notice [ 5 Answers ]

On Saturday my roommate and I put down a deposit and signed a deposit agreement for an apartment which is supposed to be vacated at the end of this month, and available in mid-october. About an hour or two after we left, the manager called me and told me that one out of the three current occupants...

30 day notice? [ 9 Answers ]

I'm in San Diego, California and I was initially on a lease, which expired over year ago so I am now month to month. The lease stipulates that if the lease expires without renewal the terms of the lease still apply in the month to month situation. The lease also stipulates that the tenant shall...

View more questions Search