Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shawna Howe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2014, 02:52 PM
    Can someone take me to court over a gift
    My father gave me a gift of a dining room set for me and my husband well I cut him out of my life because he disrespected me in my home and now he wants to take me to small claims court for the gift of the dining room set can he legally do that
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2014, 03:56 PM
    He can file a claim but doesn't have much chance with winning.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 14, 2014, 04:48 PM
    He couild easily say he loaned it to you. Do either of you have anything in writing regarding this gift? For now just ignor him, lots of people say they are going to sue, some do most don't
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 14, 2014, 06:13 PM
    Anyone can sue over anything. The question is whether they can win. If he can't prove that it wasn't a gift, he won't win. And that's going to be hard. A cash gift might be easier to prove a loan, but a furniture purchase is probably going to be deemed a gift.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 14, 2014, 06:20 PM
    This is my personal feeling rather than the legal answer you already have now:
    I would be too proud to keep a substantial gift after I cut someone out of my life. I'd give it back and dine on wine boxes or milk crates and a plain flat door for a top, or something from a thrift shop or yard sale.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 14, 2014, 11:03 PM
    You've already been given the legal answer. Anyone can sue. Unless he has something in writing, be it a contract stating that you're going to pay for the dining room set, a check made out to him for the dining room set, cash given to him for payment of the dining room set, email or texts saying you'll pay him soon, acknowledging a debt owed, he likely won't win.

In other words, if it really was a gift, and no discussion, either verbal or electronic, was ever made about you paying for it, he can take you to court, but he won't win.

I also have to say, based on that, I agree with Joy. You cut him out of your life, but won't give back this gift? Seems you care more about the furniture than you do your father. Hope the furniture is with you for longer than daddy was.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If my car title said gift can someone take me to court saying I owe them money? [ 12 Answers ]

I recently got a car from my niece's dad and he told me to put gift on the title. Now he's trying to say he's taking me to court for non payment but the title and regstaton is in mine and my girlfriends name. Would he be able to take it back now?

Can a ex boyfriend take me to court for a gift he gave me a year ago [ 4 Answers ]

Can my ex boyfriend take me to court for a gift he gave me a year ago but our break up was recent

Can someone take you to court over a gift? [ 4 Answers ]

I am 17 and married. My father gave me a laptop for a wedding gift, and my husband a guitar. We moved out to start our own lives. Now he wants the laptop back and to take me to court. Is this right? Can he do that? Or is he looking like a fool?

Can someone take you to court over a gift? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to help out a friend here. A woman that he was involved with and now has broken up with sent him a certified letter stating that he needed to appear before a magistrate. She is claiming that he promised her some items as gifts. In the letter she states what the items are and what she...

View more questions Search