Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nodumbquestions Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2014, 08:43 AM
    Juveniles rights
    Is it illegal for a juveniles probation officer to give out personal information to other juveniles parents or to other juveniles? Or to threaten a parent with jail if juvenile is at their home.

Aug 14, 2014, 08:53 AM
    By the way we're in AZ
    AntC Posts: 184, Reputation: 19
    -

Aug 14, 2014, 09:34 AM
    It is not illegal. It may very well be unethical, however. You need to address this with the Officer's supervisor or the Judge.

Aug 14, 2014, 09:38 AM
    That was what I thought, reporting her to the judge hopefully will get her to stop the lies and stretched truths. Thanks so much
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2014, 09:41 AM
    Or it might make you look bad in that judges eyes. If they have to pick which person to believe... they are going to side with the PO most of the time. Its the risk you take.

Aug 14, 2014, 09:46 AM
    Even if I have notarized statements from the people she's been telling these things to. And she's told me about other kids and there parents, literally slandering these parents, and I know these people very well.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2014, 09:48 AM
    Anything you have to prove your side will work in your favor. Otherwise its just your word against theirs.

Aug 14, 2014, 09:49 AM
    I'll keep that in mind. Thank you
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 14, 2014, 09:53 AM
    As for threatening jail time - if the person on probation violates the court-ordered rules for his probation then yes, he can go to jail. How was this a threat?

Aug 14, 2014, 10:03 AM
    Ok my daughter is 17 and married to the son of the woman who was threatened with "if XXXX is staying with you, you can go to jail" the P.O. is already aware of her staying in that home but all the sudden after a month or so is now saying this to the motherinlaw
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 14, 2014, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nodumbquestions View Post
    Even if I have notarized statements from the people she's been telling these things to.
    A notarized statement simply means that the notary verified the identity of the person making the statement. It has no bearing on the truth or validity of the statement

Quote Originally Posted by nodumbquestions View Post
    Ok my daughter is 17 and married to the son of the woman who was threatened with "if XXXX is staying with you, you can go to jail" the P.O. is already aware of her staying in that home but all the sudden after a month or so is now saying this to the motherinlaw
    One of the requirement of probation is often a restriction against associating with other criminals. A PO has a lot of control over where a probationer can live and who they can associate with. So I see nothing wrong with such a statement by the PO, sounds like they were just doing their job.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 14, 2014, 11:46 AM
    Assuming XXX is the person on probation, and that person is not your daughter or her husband - your daughter's mother-in-law isn't breaking any laws, so I think that's an idle threat (assuming that your daughter's mother-in-law isn't on probation herself). But as noted previously xxx could be jailed if he (or is it a she?) is violating his/her probation rules by staying there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal Rights, Moral rights, and rights in general [ 5 Answers ]

Something popped up when I was answering a question the other day. My opinion is that there are laws(legal rights etc) and RIGHTS (moral rights) I though that itd be interesting to discuss. What are your opinions/experiences? Do you believe that the law has the right to determine our rights?

Statue of Limitations? Juveniles? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Roughly 5 years ago a couple of items came up missing from my grandmother's barn, a battery charger, couple of tools, etc. I didn't report it to the police because I honestly didn't think they would turn up again. Recently an acquaintance mentioned that some time ago he thought a kid told...

Juveniles charges with criminal damage in second degree [ 4 Answers ]

Two juveniles were charged with criminal damage in the second degree. They have already paid restitution for the damages they did and we have to go to court in couple of weeks. They have never been in trouble until this incident. I'm a little concerned about what will happen to them. I know the...

Concerning juveniles rights [ 3 Answers ]

Are police or probation officer required to give juveniles their rights before questioning, searching or arresting them? Is there a chain of custody set up for taking a urine sample to be tested? When does it stop being a job and becomes harassment? The probation officer during every meeting...

View more questions Search