Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    07GTIGUY Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2014, 07:26 AM
    Adding a switch to flourecent lighting.
    Hello, I have an issue I need help with please. I have four fluorescent light fixtures, each with two T8's, I would like to add a light switch to be able to turn off two of the four fixtures. They are currently operated by a motion sensor and I would still like that to be functional after the switch installation. Could I please get some advice on this project, specifically how to wire up the two fixtures so they can be turned off without effecting the other two fixtures. Thank you.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 14, 2014, 09:33 AM
    You'll have to split the power that runs the four lights and install a new switch plus motion detector such that two of the lights stay connected to the existing switch/motion detector and the other two get connected to the new switch and motion detector. The hardest part is running the new cable from the new switch location to two of the light fixtures.

Aug 21, 2014, 05:30 AM
    Adding a light switch
    Hello, I need advice on how to wire up a light switch. I have four fluorescent fixtures, each with two T8's and are currently operated by a motion sensor. I would like to add a light switch to be able to turn two of the four fixtures off while maintaining the main motion sensor on/off operation. Please and thanks.

Aug 21, 2014, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    You'll have to split the power that runs the four lights and install a new switch plus motion detector such that two of the lights stay connected to the existing switch/motion detector and the other two get connected to the new switch and motion detector. The hardest part is running the new cable from the new switch location to two of the light fixtures.
    I think I know what you're saying, just to make sure, are you saying I would have to install a new breaker or no, just cut the power so only two lights are hooked into it directly and then the other two would be tied in before the first two? If that makes sense.
    Expert

Aug 21, 2014, 06:13 AM
    You do not need a new breaker. Yes, I think you understand it correctly. But please clarify how you want the motion detector to work - will it control only two lights, with the other two controlled by the new wall switch? If so, then you will tap power off the existing circuit on the breaker side of the motion detector.

Aug 21, 2014, 06:26 AM
    You do not need a new breaker. Yes, I think you understand it correctly. But please clarify how you want the motion detector to work - will it control only two lights, with the other two controlled by the new wall switch? If so, then you will tap power off the existing circuit on the breaker side of the motion detector.
    I would like to keep one motion sensor if possible to be able to turn off all lights when the light switch is on.
    Expert

Aug 21, 2014, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTIGUY View Post
    I would like to keep one motion sensor if possible to be able to turn off all lights when the light switch is on.
    OK then, you will tap into the existing circuit on the light fixture sde of the motion detector, connect to the wall switch and then from the switch to the two switched lights. In order for those two lights to be on, the motion sensor must be activated and the wall switch must be on.

Aug 22, 2014, 06:34 AM
    OK then, you will tap into the existing circuit on the light fixture sde of the motion detector, connect to the wall switch and then from the switch to the two switched lights. In order for those two lights to be on, the motion sensor must be activated and the wall switch must be on.
    Thank you for your help, I'll have to try that out and see what's what.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding new switch to box with a 3-way and single pole switch? [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a shower light to our bathroom, which currently has a 2 gang box with a 3-way switch for the fan, and a single-pole switch for the main (wall) lights. Can someone provide instructions and/or a diagram on how to wire the switches in the box? There are currently 4 wires running into the...

Adding lighting over a dining table that isn't centered [ 2 Answers ]

There is a ceiling fan in the center if the room and the table isn't directly centered under it. I was thinking of adding a recessed light to light the table area. It will be on a separate switch from the ceiling fan. What size and what kind would be best. There is insulation in the attic but I do...

Adding stage lighting and amps to sound system. Wire size questions [ 5 Answers ]

Hello. We are installing a new stage lighting system and some additional amplifiers to our sound system. The sound and lighting techs have asked for ten 40 amp circuits. I personally think this is too many circuits for what they are installing, but they want room for future expansion. If I am...

Adding a switch to pre-existing lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to add a switch to a ceiling light that already has a switch. I would like to control the light from 2 locations, instead of one. What do I need to do?:confused:

My flourecent lighting is flickering after 2 - 5 minutes of being on? [ 2 Answers ]

I installed the fluorescent lighting in my basement all wires seem to be hooked up OK. When we turn it on it is fine for about 2 minutes then the flickering begins to happen. The ground wire seems to be grounded but I could be wrong. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search