Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stevealexkim Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2014, 05:57 PM
    Levy
    I had owed a credit card company 6000. A sheriff showed up today with a levy against my property. What can I do?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2014, 05:59 PM
    Not much at this point. I'm guessing you blew off the court hearing and lost by default. What state and country are you in?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2014, 06:49 PM
    Pay the $6,000 or try to work out something with the cc company, you owe the money.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 13, 2014, 08:59 PM
    It's a bit late to do anything now, unless you're ready to pay the money you owe, and have the money on hand. If not, they have a judgement against you, and a levy on your property, and there's nothing you can do.

This is usually a last resort. I'm guessing you ignored all other attempts for the credit company to get back the money you owe? You should have talked to them then, seen if they would work out a payment plan. Now it's too late.

Good luck.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 14, 2014, 10:48 AM
    It depends on whether the property levied upon is exempt from execution. Check the exemption laws in your state to determine if it is. If so, OP can make a claim of exemption to avoid the levy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nj tax levy levy on me [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had $900.00 taken out of my account. The bank said it was a NJ tax levy. I never resided in NJ. I do however pay child support to a woman in nj, but I am on time. What is this?

Levy and garnishment [ 5 Answers ]

My wife had a debt with a credit card company that went unpaid. Our bank account got levied and upon addressing the problem, her check is getting garnished. She has been in garnishment for about 5 months now and this past week, they levied our account for more money on the same Doc#. Can they do...

Bank levy [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am in the same situation. The creditors sent a wage garansihment to my employer and the judgement is 8 years old. The dugement has not be renew. Can the employer still takemoney and what is Doctrine of Laches? Please explain in english jargon and not in legal terms. Thanks for you...

Levy [ 1 Answers ]

The sheriff has papers to serve me concerning a levyon a debt. This debt is old, & my understanding is that the amount is $8,000 but the sheriff is to seize anything valued up to $17,000 in my name to be sold to satisfy this debt. My question is I have a vehicle that is in my name & one that is in...

View more questions Search