Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zman58 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2014, 04:48 PM
    1994 ford f150 will crank but no start.
    My truck will crank but will not start. It has a new fuel filter and it is getting spark but it will not run. When I turn the key on I can hear the front pump run then stop after a few seconds. And the rear pump does the same thing. But when I go to start the truck it does not run. It is almost like it is not getting fuel. The schrader valve just leaks like it does not have any pressure. Anyone know what could be going on?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2014, 06:29 PM
    Using a fuel gauge, connected to the Schrader valve, compare fuel pressure to spec. If it checks out okay, I would next focus on the distributor--it's common for the Ignition Control Module (ICM), which Ford calls Thin Film Ignition (TFI), and the ignition pick-up coil to prevent these older Fords from starting.

Aug 14, 2014, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    Using a fuel gauge, connected to the Schrader valve, compare fuel pressure to spec. If it checks out okay, I would next focus on the distributor--it's common for the Ignition Control Module (ICM), which Ford calls Thin Film Ignition (TFI), and the ignition pick-up coil to prevent these older Fords from starting.
    Well the schrader valve barley has any pressure. We checked to see if the fuel filter was clogged and it was clear almost like gas is not even making it that far. We reset the inertia switch and then it ran for a second then stopped again. Also the truck has been sitting for a couple years. But it ran perfect the day it was parked
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2014, 09:17 AM
    The old gas has likely deteriorated and started to gum-up. I would empty and clean the fuel tank, and, in all likelihood, replace the fuel pump and fuel filter. The fuel rail needs to be fully pressurized, in order for the injectors to work.

Aug 14, 2014, 11:36 AM
    The old gas has likely deteriorated and started to gum-up. I would empty and clean the fuel tank, and, in all likelihood, replace the fuel pump and fuel filter. The fuel rail needs to be fully pressurized, in order for the injectors to work.
    We got some of the gas out of the tank and some leaked out when we took the fuel filter off and turned the key on but it still does not try to start... we are stumped I appreciate you helping and if there is anything else you can think of let me know
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2014, 01:42 PM
    Is the Schrader valve good? You mentioned that it leaks. The fuel rail needs to be able to hold pressure.

Aug 14, 2014, 02:31 PM
    Yes it is. When we push the valve down to see if it has pressure it just leaks out instead of shooting out like it has pressure. We do not have a pressure tester.
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2014, 03:01 PM
    Sounds like you need a new fuel pump.

Aug 16, 2014, 08:35 AM
    Sounds like you need a new fuel pump.
    We found that the inertia switch does not have power. All the fuses are good so we don't know what powers the inertia switch or where to look to fix it
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2014, 09:12 AM
    Check the fuel pump relay--they often go bad. If you find an identical relay, usually located in the under hood fuse/relay box, try substituting it. If it now works, buy a new relay.

Aug 19, 2014, 11:41 PM
    Check the fuel pump relay--they often go bad. If you find an identical relay, usually located in the under hood fuse/relay box, try substituting it. If it now works, buy a new relay.
    All the relays were good but the inertia switch still didn't get power from them is there anything between the two that could cause it to fail?
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2014, 05:32 AM
    Try resetting the inertia switch. How did you determine all the relays were good?

Aug 20, 2014, 05:21 PM
    Try resetting the inertia switch. How did you determine all the relays were good?
    We already reset it and it does not have power and we swapped them around and everything still worked like the horn relay , etc.
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2014, 07:05 PM
    Basically, if the fuel pump fuse, fuel pump relay, ignition switch, PCM, and inertia switch are good, focus on the fuel pump wiring, connections, and pump. You need to establish a "baseline" of known good items.

Aug 20, 2014, 07:47 PM
    Basically, if the fuel pump fuse, fuel pump relay, ignition switch, PCM, and inertia switch are good, focus on the fuel pump wiring, connections, and pump. You need to establish a "baseline" of known good items.
    Well everything that you said is good the only thing that could be wrong is a connection somewhere. But we do not know where. The one thing we know is that the inertia switch is not getting power and we don't know where to look to see if there is a bad connection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1998 Ford F150 4.6 L will turn over and over but will not start . [ 7 Answers ]

We changed coil packs, crank shaft sensor, cam shaft sensor, plugs and plug wires. Alternator been checked. Battery is charged. Fuel pump checked. Exhaust checked. Still won't crank. Has half tank of fuel. What do we check next?

1994 ford f150 truck no spark [ 7 Answers ]

Engine turns over, no spark, no start.. ran fine when parked night before.

Truck won't start ford 1994 f150 [ 3 Answers ]

OK! I am about frustrated lol, as I am sure most who are not mechanics are when it comes to fixing a vehicle. I have a 1994 ford f150 pickup 302 v8 with dual tanks. It started bogging down. Especially when I would try to go above 25 mph. THEN it completely died and would not start. So we bought...

1994 ford f150 won't switch to front gas tank from rear tank [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 1994 ford f150 xl 4.9 straight v6 with dual gas tanks. When I try to switch over to the front tank from the rear tank the truck stalls out and won't start. Why is this and how can I fix this problem? <PS> even if I switch over before I even try starting the engine the truck still...

88 Ford F150 won't Start! [ 4 Answers ]

:( Me again... this is what has been done so far: 88 Ford F150 yard plow trick. 5.0. The battery has been dying so we put a new one in.. truck ran fine plowed the yard. Went out next morning battery is dead. Took the battery in to the shop had it charged. Truck started up, ran a few seconds died...

View more questions Search