Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marljac Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2004, 08:04 PM
    Code 19 with my Optical drives!
    I was cleaning out my hard drive and streamlining my startup files and when I was done neither of my optical drives worked (CDRW and DVD+RW - both Buslink). Neither of them show up in "My Computer" and both have yellow !'s next to them in the device manager. At first when I clicked on them in the device manager I got Error #41. The advice in the troubleshooter was to uninstall them and then go through the add new hardware wizzard. I did this and they are back in the device manager with the !'s by them but now I get this error message Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19) Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device. The advice in the troubleshooter is the same and I've tried this twice. Any ideas. I also tried rebooting twice and reinstalling the drives but when the show up on the list of uninstalled hardware I click on them and am back where I started. I powered down, unplugged the IDE cables and then rebooted. Neither of the drives were visible. Powered down, installed the drives and then booted up and nothing out of the ordinary happened. I went to the device manager and both drives showed up as before and got code 19 when I clicked on them. Do I need to unplug pwer cables and Digital audio cables too? Please help!
    Thanks so much in advance for your help!
    Mike

ponteinc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2004, 07:20 PM
    Re: Code 19 with my Optical drives!
    I'm having same problem. Have HP 844 computer
    Using Windows XP Home . I hope someone can help.

Sep 25, 2004, 08:36 PM
    I solved the problem. Thanks anyway!
    ponteinc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2004, 06:54 AM
    How did you solve the problem of the "corrupted registry" ?

ponteinc
    KSX Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2004, 11:41 AM
    Code 19 with my Optical drives!
    Hi
    I'm having the same problem too - can you supply details of how you fixed it? I'm on XP PRO. Thanks.

Sep 26, 2004, 08:51 PM
    Here's the piece of advice that worked for me. Let me know if this helps you. If not I have some other feedback that might help you.

If you are using Windows XP try the following steps...

1. Click Start.
    2. Click Run.
    3. In the "Open" field type REGEDIT.
    4. Click OK.
    5. Click "File" in the menu bar.
    6. Click "Export" from the drop down menu this will open a new box.
    7. Click the down arrow beside "Save In" and select "Local Disk (C".
    8. In the File Name field type BACKUP.REG.
    9. Verify that under the “Export Range”, that the radio button is beside "All".
    10. Click Save.
    11. Click the plus sign (+) beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    12. Click the plus sign (+) beside System.
    13. Click the plus sign (+) beside CurrentControlSet.
    14. Click the plus sign (+) beside Control.
    15. Click the plus sign (+) beside Class.
    16. In the left hand window pane click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} to select that key.
    17. In the right hand window pane select the UpperFilters registry key and press the delete key on the keyboard.
    18. Confirm with an OK.
    19. In the right hand window pane select the LowerFilters registry key and press the delete key on the keyboard.
    20. Confirm with an OK.
    21. Click the "X" in the upper right hand corner of the Registry Editor window to close it.

Restart your Computer in order for the registry - fix to work.

Hope this information helps,
    KSX Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2004, 11:34 AM
    :D
    Hi - thanks so much! It took about a minute and worked. What a relief. I'm keeping the instructions at hand in case I can pass them on to anyone else.
    Best wishes
    Kath
    Teddykhil Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2005, 01:40 AM
    Code 19 from Marj
    Thanks Marj for the report on Code 19. I had it once before a couple of years ago on other machine but today of all days showing off my laptop to some friends and the bloody DVD/CD RW drive wouldn't show up, you got to know it's the days you need it and it ain't there. Thanks again for the post.

TTFN TeddyKhil :)
    Blueoldham Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2005, 11:40 AM
    Code 19, reason it happens?
    Any ideas what causes this error to begin with? I removed the filters from a customers PC and with in a week, the filters had been reset. Any ideas as to a cause?

Thanks.
    karzot Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2008, 05:01 PM
    Marljak: Thank you very much for your help! I'm using Vista OS and your procedure worked just fine on my computer.
    karzot Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Marljak: Thank you very much for your help! I was going nuts trying to install my new device - an external dvd/rw rom. My OS is Windows Vista and your procedure worked just fine on my computer. Thanks again!
    karzot
    ojohnjj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2008, 06:17 AM
    Hi. marljac.
    This solved the problem and this was on Vista. Thanks Thanks Thanks :) :) :)
    gauravpreet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2009, 10:33 AM
    Thanks . It worked fine on vista 32...
    But what could be the major cause? Could it be some sort of software conflict ?
    bonbautista Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2010, 07:53 PM
    Thank you so much... this solves my problem...
    Johnmagellan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2012, 05:40 AM
    Code 19. Thank you thank you thank you. I was able to solve the problem after failures with all the experts here giving me bad information. If I had a company I would hire you as my VP of engineering.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SEM vs Optical Microscopy [ 4 Answers ]

Why does a scanning electron microscope have better depth of field than an optical microscope? Thanks Ellen

Hampton Bay outdoor flood light (motion/optical) [ 1 Answers ]

My HB flood lights stopped working recently, but if I turn the unit to "test", wave my hand in front of the sensor, the lights pop on. Turning it back to 1,5, or 10 minute timer delay does not work, even in the dark. Faulty opical sensor? Would that prevent the unit from operating in timer mode?

Cool Optical Illusions [ 3 Answers ]

Of course the old favorites are cool, but this one is TOO COOL!: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/castle-illusion.html (this is one you have to stare at for 30 seconds... and I promise nothing will jump out at you) Anyone got a link to some cool new ones other than the ones that have been around for...

Drives [ 5 Answers ]

I have 4 drives shown in PC (c, d, e, g) not including cd drive or floppy drive. Is there a way that I can have my computer show 1 drive; c:/?? And let that drive have the total memory of all four combined

OCR (Optical character recognition) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am doing my postgraduate study and I am planning to develop an ocr software for my project work, but I could not get any reference about the topic or any help, if u coud help me giving information about the building steps and references it will be very helpful

View more questions Search