Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ericapq Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2007, 03:02 PM
    Proof I owe credit card
    I was contacted by law firm that is representing a collection agency back in may 2006.
    They told me I owed 2600. To househlod credit card. I told him I have had a couple of accounts with them and have paid them off. I read the account numbers on the phone to him and he told me those are not the account he is talking about. I told him I have a credit report from 2003 and I do not see the account # he gave me on it. He told me I have to pay or they will take me to court. I told him how can I pay for something I have no proof I owe. He told me to fax over the letters I have of the accounts that were paid. He gave me 3 days to get back to him with any proof I paid that account but my amount owed will keep going up until I make payment agreements with them. I went off on him and demanded more info about this account. He told me it opened on 04/96 and closed on 08/2000. I don't remember oweing that credit card. I ordered a credit report after speaking to him on 07/06 and that credit card or account # he gave me was no where on it. I did not hear from them for a while until recently. I did not answer their calls. But last week I received a sommons from them. I have to go to court next week. I started looking for info online and read about statue of limitation and to send out a letter to validate that I owe this. But its to late for that letter. Why didn't the guy tell me that I could write a letter to ask for proof? He just gave me 3 days to get back to him. But how can I find out if I really owe this credit card and if I do can I use as my defense that the statue of limitation has expired. Any help or information will be helpful. I am from Illinois

Thank you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 6, 2007, 03:07 PM
    Let me see, he wants you to pay him, he gets his paycheck to make you pay, so why is he going to tell you that you have any righs, they don't.

In court they will have to prove this is your account, merely demand it be done in court, if they can't prove it, they can not win. And if it is out of the SOL of course you ask the court to dismiss the case for that reason.

There are a few on here that are really up on the exact terms and I am sure they will jump in here in a day or two remember you want to show up in court if you can't get it dismissed before the court date

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which Is Better Debit Card Or Credit Card? [ 20 Answers ]

Which Is Better Debit Card Or Credit Card? We increase our Debts like any thing when we have Credit Card because we spend /buy the goods with free hand / shopping habits, in this case will it not be a better to keep a debit card instead of a credit card? :confused: What are your views on...

New Credit Card [ 3 Answers ]

I recently got a credit card offer through an email I received from my Mileage Card. I have not had a credit card for over 9 years. So I figured what the heck. But to give myself a better chance on getting this card I added a suffix to my name. I got approved. But while answering some questions...

No credit. Need suggestions for selecting a credit card with low APR [ 2 Answers ]

Hai, I don't possess a credit card till now. I am planning to buy a car by applying loan. My friends advised me that if I pay my loan premium using a credit card, it would help building my credit history. They also told me to look for 0% APR (any such offer for the first year) or less APR to...

Credit card [ 2 Answers ]

Why would a credit card company offer to take a settlement of $4,700 on a debt of $29,000?

I Need Credit Card [ 2 Answers ]

I Need Credit Card To Purchase Some Books

View more questions Search