Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vermella2014 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2014, 10:46 AM
    Drain flies in new building?
    New apartment building recently completed construction June 9th. I moved in July 12th and now have drain flies (100% positive). There hasn't been any time for drain build up and I am on the 5th floor. How can this be?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 11, 2014, 12:18 PM
    It's easy to envisage eggs being laid in pipes sitting in the mud (All construction sites are muddy, even in arid climates) and not hatching until after completion. It's just as easy to imagine eggs being laid in the sewer tie-in process. Getting rid of them is definitely going to involve building ownership, as the infestation is likely widespread.

Aug 11, 2014, 04:41 PM
    Today I saw tiny tiny little "things" crawling out of drain. I was under the impression that adults emerged from drain. Management claims no one else has a problem. Now what?
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 11, 2014, 05:15 PM
    That raises the possibility of another species of fly. Have you tried any of the "scrubbing bubbles" type foaming ammonia cleansers?

Aug 13, 2014, 07:03 AM
    The adults that I killed were 100% drain flies. I covered all drains for 24 hours and then opened one (bathroom sink) and that's when these teeny tiny brownish long things emerged. I poured drano gel down the drain and flushed with boiling water and repeated again last night. I have kept all drains sealed unless I need to use and then I reseal again. If I don't see any more adults will this be the end of them?
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 13, 2014, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vermella2014 View Post
    If I don't see any more adults will this be the end of them?
    If you can keep them sealed for a month except when in use you stand a good chance of eliminating them. Something occurred to me in reviewing this: You might wish to verify that your neighbors aren't having problems with the neighbors instead of with the landlord.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain Flies/Sewer Flies [ 24 Answers ]

We moved into this house almost 1 yr ago. At first I didn't notice the flies. We have a shower stall in our bathroom that is in our room. We noticed a leak and stopped using it. Someone mentioned that I should still pour water down the drain, is this true? Our sump pump is in the basement next...

Drain flies [ 0 Answers ]

I live in Fl, and my water softner broke. They couldn't come for 2 weeks to fix it, so I didn't do any laundry or run dishwasher. The well water here is awful! I ended up with drain flies! Please can I use muriatic acid or boric acid to kill them? I have been boiling water and using baking soda and...

Drain Flies [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have different times of the year that I have drain flies in my house and I would love to know 1. How Do I keep from getting them? 2. How do I get rid of them, if I get them? This drives me CRAZY and I don't know what to do. Please help me

Drain Flies [ 1 Answers ]

We moved into this house almost 1 yr ago. At first I didn't notice the flies. We have a shower stall in our bathroom that is in our room. We noticed a leak and stopped using it. Our sump pump is in the basement next to our washer. It smelled pretty bad, and this is where we are noticing the...

Drain flies [ 4 Answers ]

I am having the drain fly problem in my house in New Jersey. The local pest company professionals identified these as drain flies. The house is 25 yrs old and on a slab. It is a ranch style with no basement. I have two bathrooms one with a shower and a tub. It has been 2 years since I bought...

View more questions Search