Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ljcaulk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2014, 04:55 PM
    Weep holes in new shower
    There are weep holes where the top of the acrylic shower pan meets the tiled wall. These holes weep a rust-colored substance every time the shower is used and always look dirty. The contractor says the rust color comes from the back of the ceramic tile and is normal. The outside of the glazed tile is an off-white and the grout is white. The whole house is tiled in this tile on floors, tub surround, and shower. Should there be no weep holes with this type of tile because of the terracotta back? What can remedy the situation?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 10, 2014, 05:45 PM
    There are weep holes where the top of the acrylic shower pan meets the tiled wall.
    That doesn't make any sense to me. Any hole in the top flange of a shower pan would be nailing slots for attaching the shower pan to the studs. The tile should over lap the flange and then be caulked. There should never be any water behind the tile to run down and stain the pan. If you have water coming from behind the tile you have a leak in the tiles.

If this leak in the wall with the valves and the shower head, the leak is probably coming from either the shower arm or the valves.

The contractor says the rust color comes from the back of the ceramic tile and is normal.
    That is pure BS.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 10, 2014, 05:50 PM
    No such thing as weep holes. You have a lousy contractor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weep holes in tile shower [ 2 Answers ]

I recently moved into a townhome that was a model, is 5 years old and never lived in. The shower is limestone tiles for walls, a travertine liner at the bottom of the walls, and onyx floor. After a shower, the onyx on the floor darkens with a wet spot. It spreads each time you shower. If...

Forgot to use pea gravel around weep holes in shower drain! [ 1 Answers ]

Just installed a shower drain, using three levels: 1. bottom layer of mortar sloped to drain. 2. PVC shower pan liner, with middle portion of drain (including weep holes) properly installed over it. 3. Top layer of mortar, properly sloped to top portion of drain. I am now ready to lay tile....

Tile shower weep holes [ 12 Answers ]

I am hoping that you can help me. I believe our master bath tile shower floor has blocked weep holes. Right after we moved into our brand new house, there was a water leak on the ceiling below our shower. Our tile company tore up the inner 18" square, looking for a leak, but didn't find any and...

Shower pan weep holes [ 11 Answers ]

We are redoing our shower, the contractor walked out on us after three days. Then found out his license had expired in 2007... wonderful! Bad experience from the get go, should have relied on my gut instincts instead of giving him a second chance on the very first day! So we are finishing it...

Weep Holes in wall of tiled shower [ 1 Answers ]

I've moved into a new home and some water is leaking due to incomplete grouting of tiled walls in shower. Shower has pre-made shower pan, not tiled floor. Builder has cleaned out (by drilling) small weep holes in tiled wall immediately above pre-made shower pan (shower floor)... like you would...

View more questions Search