Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    03rammer Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2014, 07:58 AM
    Well pump/bladder tank
    Well pump runs constantly and I have water in the house, but pressure not strong. Bladder tank has no water in it only air (28psi). It is a submersible pump 60ft. I've changed the switch and gauge. Is it the check valve or in need of new tank?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 10, 2014, 08:55 AM
    Well pump runs constantly. Is it the check valve ?
    Sure sounds like a faulty check/foot valve to me.
    Bladder tank has no water in it only air (28psi).
    Bladder tanks are mostly full of air and charged with 28 PSI is correct for a 30/50 pressure switch, Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Aug 10, 2014, 09:29 AM
    I don't have a spout on my bladder tank to drain (if there was water in it). I closed the shut off valve to the house and pump kicked off. So no loss in pressure from pump or bladder. When I open the valve to the house is when the pressure is lost, then pump kicks on until it hits 30psi and shuts off then pressure starts to drop again until pump kicks back on.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 10, 2014, 09:45 AM
    Is the tank and the shut off valve at the well head?

Aug 10, 2014, 09:57 AM
    Yes both are

We'll comes out of ground and then t's right to bladder and left to shut off valve. After valve it goes to the house

Aug 10, 2014, 10:37 AM
    You have rupture pipe between well and house. Look for signs of water in the ground along the route of the pipe to the house.

Close valve to house, turn on pump. When pump shuts off, manually hold pressure switch close until tank pressure gets to about 70 or 80 lbs. Open valve (with no water being used in the house) quickly follow line to house. You may (or may not) be able to hear the leak.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 10, 2014, 11:51 AM
    I don't have a spout on my bladder tank to drain it.
    None of them do. And why would want to?

). I closed the shut off valve to the house and pump kicked off.
    That changed my mind about a faulty check valve. It now points to a leak in the house supply or the house itself. Check the supply line by closing the house shut off. What range is your control box? Let me know, Tom
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2014, 01:14 PM
    Probably the pipe to the house. Check your toilets, however. Would have to be a pretty good leak, but does happen.

Aug 10, 2014, 03:26 PM
    Had a well guy come out and it turns out that the pump is shot. Won't pump over 30 psi. I dug up the back yard and there is no leak.

Thanks for your help

Aug 10, 2014, 05:15 PM
    it turns out that the pump is shot
    Don't understand that. If pump is strong enough to get the tank up to pressure with valve closed, it should get the tank up to pressure if the valve is open and there is no leak.

You said eairler.
    I closed the shut off valve to the house and pump kicked off.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 11, 2014, 05:51 AM
    I'm with Harold on this. What, exactly, did your pump guy say what was wrong with the pump?
    You said eairler.
    I closed the shut off valve to the house and pump kicked off.
    Can't nave it both ways. Works for you but not for him. Somebody's wrong here. Who is it? You or him? Back to you Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I setup a pump and bladder tank? [ 3 Answers ]

The pump is already there but hasn't been used in 25 years. There is a really old Submercible pump control box in the well house(should I replace it?). Previously there were three wires run to the pump. 2 hots and a neutral I think. I still have the old breaker box so I can see how it was...

I need to know how to hook up a shallow well pump and bladder tank in my home [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know how to hook up a shallow well pump and tank in my home?

Does my 3/4 hp jet pump for a shallow well need a bladder tank? [ 15 Answers ]

We just installed a Utilitech 3/4hp Jet Pump for our shallow well of about 30 feet. We installed it with a Union just in case we had to remove it in the future and the Check Valve (Foot Valve) is above ground next to the well. It seems to be acting crazy! You have to turn it off at the main...

Deep well pump not filling bladder tank [ 0 Answers ]

I have a deep well pump hooked to a flotec bladder tank. The problem is that the pump doesn't seem to be priming the tank. No water is going into the tank, and the pump won't stay running unless I cut off water to the house with the valve next to the tank, at which point the pump won't shut off,...

Install bladder tank and pressure switch far from pump [ 12 Answers ]

My well pump is about 150 yards from my home where I want to install a bladder tank and pressure switch in my basement. I have been told that I can not do this because of the distance to my pump. I have a submersible well pump and the only place I have to put the bladder tank is in my basement. ...

View more questions Search