Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cyfi Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2014, 11:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Homegirl 50 View Post
    Do a book club. Do you have hobbies, girlfriends you can do things with, go places with? The more you get out the more likely you are to meet others and the more comfortable you'll become.

When I'm not working I like music, movies, art, writing, reading, and walking/working out (not intensely), I'm also into spirituality. However, I barely make time for these things, I try but it's hard. As well, I can't say I have any friends at the moment whom I see regularly or anything. My friends were from high school and they live cities away so we hardly see each other. I made less than a handful of friends in Uni due to anxiety, and just the fact that I've seemingly forgotten how to make friends. It's incredibly difficult. I remember trying to talk to some people in my classes sometimes but it never went anywhere, and I'd end up alone and so depressed. I left university when I moved cities (for work) and was so relieved because the loneliness, and constant stress and fear (fear for my grades, fear of my peers) drove me into the deepest depression I'd ever experienced. Sorry for rambling.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 17, 2014, 04:49 AM
    You aren't rambling and its so understandable to be overwhelmed by so much so fast. It is a very difficult adjustment when events move faster than we are prepared for. I don't think you have forgotten how to make friends, as much as your efforts have not resulted in making them so far. I say so far, because the trick is to be willing to engage even if its in small ways, and you don't get instant results like you want.

I go back to the example of the young shop clerk you became suspicious of and dismissed in your original post. It's a teachable opportunity you walk away from. A safe one that can help bring confidence in your own social skills. It's that confidence that brings the courage you so badly need in yourself.

You can do this and be successful. Maybe not immediately, but eventually as you build on your own self.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Movie where good guy chops bad guy's arm (or hand) off with an axe during a fight [ 2 Answers ]

There is a scene toward the end of the movie where during a fight one guy cuts off the other guy's arm (or hand) with an axe. The injured guy looks at it and exclaims "No f***ing way" because his other arm is gone as well (or he gets a new one).

Big headed guys in teen body skateboarding. Black guy and a white guy. I don't know the name. [ 2 Answers ]

Wats the name of that song that in the video it has these two guys like skateboarding with big heads in a teen body saying something like I don't want to grow up or something. I've tried vh1.com but nothing because I saw the video on the show like a long while ago and I'm sure the song came out...

Sci fi show with a guy and a girl sort of a police station guy, dwarf always fighting [ 2 Answers ]

Sci-fi TV show series on 1ce a week it was an agency like the police guy and dwarf always fighting on the floor rolling young alburn headed gal captain always grumpy

View more questions Search