Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bcsjbaylor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2007, 02:08 PM
    GFCI Outlets
    I have a quick question and am hoping for an easy answer...

I have just remodeled our kitchen and in doing so wanted to have two circuits at the countertop. I ran a 12/3 wire into the first box, tied the reds together and ran the black and neutral through the GFCI. At the second box, I tied the blacks together and ran the red and neutral through the GFCI, now thinking that both circuits are protected. The rest of the outlets are red circuit on top, black circuit on bottom.

Unfortunately, now what happens is that the red circuit trips whenever anything is plugged into it. The black circuit is OK. If I shut the black circuit down, the red circuit is OK. I am thinking I should not have shared the neutral but as the kitchen is done except for the wiring, I am now stuck.

I think I have two options:

1) eliminate one of the coutertop circuits and use only a single circuit.
    2) remove both GFCI outlets and replace with two GFCI breakers (I don't know for sure if this would work though since all the outlets will still share the same neutral.

Any help anyone can give me would be most appreciated. Thanks.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2007, 03:40 PM
    GFI devices cannot share a neutral, so the best you can do is use a GFI outlet from the shared neutral at the beginning of each circuit so there is two wire from the load of each GFI outlet. The shared neutral can be spliced on the line side of each GFI.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New outlets [ 6 Answers ]

How many outlets per new circuit?

220 Outlets & GFCI Questions [ 3 Answers ]

I'm wanting to add some 220 outlets in the garage to run my woodworking equipment, and I have a couple of questions. First, can I run one 220 circuit with approximately 4 plugins on it? Only 1 piece of equipment will ever be used at one time (or does this violate code? ). Also, I'm under the...

GFCI help... [ 1 Answers ]

I know a little about electrical (enough to be dangerous anyway lol). The problem I am having is the GFCI keeps tripping. It is located in the garage and it controls (itself included the GFCI outlet) 6 receptacles. I have nothing plugged into it and I have replaced the GCFI outlet itself. But it...

Gfci [ 5 Answers ]

How do you install GFCI Recepticles properly with old wiring in a house?

Gfci [ 1 Answers ]

Is there ever a situation where it makes sense to have a GFCI outlet on the same circuit as a GFCI breaker? Will having a GFCI outlet on the same circuit as a GFCI breaker cause any damage? I recently bought a house and found the situation noted above.

View more questions Search