Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgarrett75 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2014, 04:31 PM
    Sue for Custody
    My ex boyfriend in I had a verbal agreement on joint custody on our pedigree dog. During the time he was not working I paid all the expenses on the dog I have records and receipts. He does not take care and abuses the dog, I have witnesses. Recently he asked me to sign a document he prepared for joint custody when I contacted a lawyer to review the contract before I signed it my ex boyfriend went into hiding with the dog and will not respond to my contact. I plan on suing him for custody of property. I'm sure he will not show up in court, if I win my case how will the law enforce him to give up the dog.
    Jacalyn Libby Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2014, 04:39 PM
    I am so sorry for what you are going through... You must be worried sick! I am not a lawyer but if you can't find him then you don't have any options. I would still proceed with filing suit against him which may lead to a warrant for his arrest (contempt of court.) Then if he surfaces and can be arrested it will look good in your favor all around. Best of luck. He is probably doing this for spite and the judge will recognize this. Bless you.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 8, 2014, 05:42 PM
    The first response is not a consequence of Small Claims, which only gives a monetary award, and it's up to you to collect it. 'Custody' does not apply to pets either. I am afraid that your chances of any legal action providing results are slim. The dog is property, and with proof of purchase and receipts for care, you can of course go to Small Claims and win by default if he doesn't show up, but the Court will not find your ex nor the dog, will not send out the police, and will not attach his bank account.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 8, 2014, 05:57 PM
    .. He does not take care and abuses the dog, ...
    Doesn't really matter, in the eyes of the law, unless it amounts to animal cruelty (which is a criminal matter). As Joy said, " 'Custody' does not apply to pets"; and small claims court usually doesn't have jurisdiction for recovery of personal property such as a dog.

Who purchased the dog?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 9, 2014, 07:36 AM
    There is no such thing as custody of a dog. Sorry, I know they are like our children sometimes.

The dog is property and you will need to establish ownership. Who paid for dog ? Where are receipts.

Next, you will sue for the value of the dog, and/or the return of the property.

No, the police will not normally enforce a civil agreement, you can try, to get him ordered to appear in court, with the property ( dog) but often you may only get a judgement for the value of the property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother regaining custody after signing papers for father having sole custody [ 8 Answers ]

What are the circumstances for a mother regaining custody after signing papers for father to have sole custody?

Change of sole custody to joint custody if both parents live in different states than [ 6 Answers ]

I am trying to find out where I would need to go to change/modify a custody order that granted my ex spouse sole legal and physical custody 3 years ago. He now resides in MA, I now reside in CA, but in may will be moving to TX to live with my fiancˇ. The original custody order (was changed from...

Can I get full custody back after cps gave my mother and I joint custody? [ 5 Answers ]

Can I get full custody back after cps gave my mother and I joint custody

Can my child mother sue me for legal and physical custody in two states? [ 3 Answers ]

My son's mother has not allowed me to see me newborn son for almost 18mos. He is now 2 years old. About a year ago. I filed for partial custody and visitation; we also have a child support order in the state of MD. She without my knowledge packed up and moved my son to PA. I could never serve her...

I have custody of my great niece and her mother is threatening to sue to get custody [ 5 Answers ]

What does a parent have to prove to regain custody from a relative

View more questions Search