Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gonewiththewind Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Joint Federal Return - separate state returns
    My wife and I were legally separated for all of 2006. We know we can file a joint federal return but she needs to also file in Georgia. I lived and worked in Texas the entire year. Can we file a joint federal return and file it with the IRS, have her fill out a federal return as a single person and send that in with her Georgia state return? I have had nothing to do with Georgia and just don't want to be involved with them or have my name associated with their tax system.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 17, 2007, 08:47 AM
    File jointly in Georgia as a part-year resident. That way, you will file legally (your optiont to have her attach a SINGLE person return to the GA form is TAX FRAUD), but you will only pay taxs on HER GA-based salary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F-1 Student, Federal &/vs. State Tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question about the State Tax return. I am a student on an F-1 visa and have been filing the 1040 NR-EZ and 8843 every year (as told by my school). In previous years a treaty prevented any federal or state tax to be withheld from my earnings, but not this past year (treaty with Germany...

F1 Visa:NY Return:Filing joint or separate? [ 1 Answers ]

I am claiming my dependent on 1040NR and I am checking the box "Married Resident of Canada". What does this imply on my NY return then as there is no such option? Is it filing separately or jointly? There is no option on 1040NR that states married filing joint return or married filing separately so...

State and Federal tax returns - Itemized deductions [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I am Non-Resident alien from India and will file Federal tax return using 1040NR-EZ. Per Publication 519, there is provision to claim only itemized deductions by non-students from India (being non-resident alient, I cannot claim standard deduction). It also states itemized deductions...

Federal return collected by state for state liability [ 1 Answers ]

I live in wi and filed married jointly I owe the wisc. Dep. Of revenue money but I have paid off the IRS . I filed my fed. Return electronicly and it was accepded, can the wisc .dep. Of rev. take my fed tax return? Or will my fed return be deposited in my account that I have specified with my...

Wife on H4, need to file 3 state returns and 1 federal [ 1 Answers ]

Hello There, I am on H1B Work Visa since last 3.5 years now and have been filing tax return as single since last 3 years. I got married on Dec 29th 2005 in India and have marriage certificate from india. My spouse is a Malaysian Citizen born and brought up there. She came to USA on H4...

View more questions Search