Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rlsunde Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2014, 06:51 AM
    What size header beam
    I am building a attached lean-to carport. It is 21ft. Wide x 24 ft deep.
    It is attached to the house. The span, being 21ft, needs support and I do not wish to use a center post in front, only the center and rear.
    What size header beam should I use across the 21ft span in front with a 18" overhang?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2014, 11:43 AM
    You will have a hard time figuring how to run a 24 ft. roof joist without support. This is an engineering project with the support process you wish to use, not a common DIY project.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2014, 12:09 PM
    And will this have to deal with snow loading in climates where it snows, is it subject to high winds, etc.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 6, 2014, 02:48 PM
    And attaching it to the house may mean a lot higher increase of your property tax bill than a free standing one.
    There's no way you are going to hide this from the town, so you might as well talk to the building inspector first about what you can do about the span under your local code, and then the zoning dept, and finally the assessor, to see what it will add to your tax.
    (I think you will find that a front center post is much, much easier, and if you have room for 24' wide instead of 21', do that.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What size laminated beam do I need to span 20' for my basement beam? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a one story ranch and want to eliminate the columns in a section of my basement. The beam will need to support the 2x8 floor joists which are 12' 6" from column to wall. What size beam will I need?

What size header beam will I need? [ 1 Answers ]

I am wanting to remove 9.5' of a 11.5' 2x4 wall on our first floor separating the kitchen from the dining room. The wal is load bearing, the 2x12 joist are spliced(run past wall 6" each side) I can put the one end on the exterior wall with a 4x4 down to foundation, and the other right on a beam(...

Header size [ 1 Answers ]

does anyone know what the universal code is for a 16ft garage door header on a gable end, so not load berring, do two 2X12's work or do you have to use lam beams thanks, I live in North Dakota

What size lam beam header is needed to clear span a 30 feet? [ 2 Answers ]

The beam is needed in a 30x40 garage. We are using trusses that are speced to clear span 40 feet but want the extra support in the center.

Laminated beam as header [ 1 Answers ]

What size laminated beam should I use for a 15 ft. span supporting the back wall of a house as well as an extension with a shed roof thank you

View more questions Search