Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Duke Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2005, 08:56 AM
    Golden not eating
    I have a golden retriever which is 8 months old and he had an healthy appetite. He is barely eating from a week. His food intake has fallen down from quarter of what he used to eat. Right from when he was 2 months old I used to give him dry food mixed with little wet food because he is used to be very picky about food.. still is :) . But yeah his food intake has dropped real bad. He is otherwise playful. I am just wondering if it's the weather..
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2005, 09:20 AM
    What sort of weather? In another thread we have a light eating Dachshund in Chile. If this is a fairly abrupt thing, I would take him to the vet. Could be sick, or an intestinal blockage from something he chewed up. Is he a severe chewer? Too often they gulp down something they can't pass.

Some dog's appetite drops at about this age, especially if you kept him on puppy chow and he grew faster. When things settle down, may as well switch to adult chow. One meal a day will be OK now too. For now, put out his regular chow. Take up any uneaten food after 15 minutes, and do not offer anything until the next scheduled meal. Also go to http://www.purina.com/dogs/nutrition.asp?article=292 to learn how to determine the amount of food right for him and his life.
    Duke Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2005, 09:47 AM
    Thanks. Is this a good time to feed him home cooked veggies and rice. I don't cook meat at home as I am a vegetarian. Well he gets all the meat he wants though :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2005, 10:45 AM
    It is extremely difficult and time consuming to formulate a good diet for your dog. Most dogs will thrive on most commercial chows, although there isn't any one chow that is right for all dogs. If you are concerned about byproducts and additives, you can find dog chows without them. Such a diet would be much better for your dog, than what you might prepare yourself.

Look for Nutro, Bennifel, Flint River, etc.

I see it as cruel and irrational to fail to provide your dog with a known complete and balanced dog chow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Golden just nibbles on food [ 1 Answers ]

Right now gus is getting over a eye infection (pink-eye) but for the past few days he just nibbles at his food, he still loves his treats and seems active... walking him taking him to the park playing fetch. I'm a little bit of a woor wort butany help would be appreciated. He is on antibiotics for...

Golden Rule: [ 19 Answers ]

Is the independent value of a person implied in the Golden Rule, e.g. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you?" (Luke 6:31, Matt. 7:12) HANK :)

Golden Retriever looks sick [ 3 Answers ]

About a month ago My wife and I found a Gold Retriever on the side of the road playing. This was a few miles from anything. We think he's a few months old. He has been really a good dog, not counting the usual puppy accidents. That was until this morning, we went out to feed him and he lost at...

Golden Not Eating [ 2 Answers ]

I have a three year old Golden Ret. Who has eaten Science Diet since the day she was born? The Last three days she has not eaten but does drink water and has eaten a few pieces of lunch meat and a small piece of turkey. She does not have worms. She shares a pen with a 1 year old golden who is a...

Golden Retriever not eating... fussy? [ 2 Answers ]

:( Vegas, our golden retriever , has been sick. He will be 5 in August. He got sick over Memorial Day, he wasn't really eating. After a vet visit and blood test one vet said he had a thyroid problem and needs medication for it and we could see where to go from there. Well my husband wasn't too...

View more questions Search