Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LollyV465 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2014, 12:32 PM
    Should I see a vet?
    I just recently rescued an 8 month old female pug who went into heat before I could get her spayed. Today I found my 3 year old male shepherd who is fixed stuck with her and she was crying, trying to get away and seemed to be in a lot of pain, so I fussed at him and eventually got him to release her. Didn't realize until I started researching that it is a no no to pull them apart, I had just been very concerned about my pug. She has been bleeding for about 10 days now and after they came unstuck was still bleeding like she has been. My male is not bleeding, but his penis seems to be tender (I inspected it to make sure I hadn't hurt him). Should I take them to the veterinarian to have them further checked out? I read somewhere that pulling them apart can make the female hemorrhage. Do you think he hurt her since she is so much smaller than him and had never mated before?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 4, 2014, 12:35 PM
    Yes, and please get both neutered.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 4, 2014, 01:09 PM
    Yes, that is a nono pulling them apart, but you know, this is why we think it is odd sometimes that little dogs have these big litters, and some of the pups are quite cute. I hate to say this. Nature takes care of itself as we should know, but yes, take them both to the vet, have them neutered.

I also have to say, what ever were you thinking bringing an unspayed female into the family with another male dog who is fixed but still knows the scent and has the urge !

Here in Ontario we cant adopt a female dog without having her spayed at the facility, and yes we do have to pay for it, but this is how the shelter cuts down on unwanted pets.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2014, 02:29 PM
    Yes, your dog needs to see a vet. Ten DAYS? I would have brought her in after 24 hours of bleeding. You need to get her checked out to make sure there is no serious damage happening.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How old should a puppy be to go to vet? [ 10 Answers ]

How old should a puppy be to go to vet?

Going to the vet [ 5 Answers ]

I am really surprised at the number of people who can not go to the vet because of money. I know times are tough but so do most vets. I went to my vet today the third visit in a few weeks. I have an older dog with nail issues. After my visit today he saw two docs and I was charged nothing because...

Vet doctor vs. Vet [ 2 Answers ]

What should I choose between a vet doctor (that could come to my place at any time) or a vet clinic?

I want to be a vet! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello peoples I want to be a vet but I need to know what classes I need to take and things like that because I love animals and I love to help them so and one help please:o

When To Go To The Vet [ 2 Answers ]

My one and a half year old dachshund has had an upset stomach all morning. Whenever he isn't throwing up a white mucus like substance he is curled in a ball and shivering. It has only been for the morning, but I'm still a little concerned. When is a good time to head to the vet, should the...

View more questions Search