Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    czy862 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2007, 11:07 AM
    Ceramic tiling, ceiling
    What is the best way to install ceramic tile in a bathroom shower on the ceiling. Once you place the tiles, do they have to be supported until the thinset dries? If so, how have you done this?
    Clear-Mind-Web Posts: 16, Reputation: 6

Apr 7, 2007, 02:59 PM
    I have never done this, although I have installed a lot of tile on vertical surfaces.

I think you would not need any extra support for porcelain tiles that are smaller in size. As in say 6" or less. For anything larger I would try to use maybe some type of jack system with a piece of plywood roughly the same size as the ceiling. It would be good to reinforce the plywood with some 2x4s so that the force from the jack is evenly distributed. Or use more than 1 jack point.

You should use a thinset mortar that you have to mix and as you apply the mortar to the ceiling (preferably you use hardi-backer as a sub-surface on the ceiling) make sure that you "work it" into the ceiling well so that it has a good contact with the ceiling. DO NOT SET THE TILE ONTO SHEETROCK OR GREENROCK.
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Apr 7, 2007, 04:30 PM
    I've done this... went to Wal-Mart, got some spring tension curtain rods. Put some scrap plywood over the tub; making the deck height just short of the length of the rods. I had 6 rods.

Took several days, have to be careful of them sliding around when U set the tension... used some small nails to hold them against the spacers.

Results were perfect.

Regards,
    Stew
    mogon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2008, 07:07 PM
    Spread thinset to cover 1 row , put 2 screws in the wall at the end of the row close to the ceiling, install 1 tile and push against the ceiling to create a suction, put in 2nd tile the same way. After 2nd tile is in put a screw through a fender washer in the grout joint, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN, use a hand screwdriver once you are close to the tile. Repeat until you reach the end, add 2 screws at end wall before you install the last tile, ( use thin spacers between tile and screws on the wall. Once you get the hang of it , it will go quickly. Good luck.
    Tell me more Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2008, 08:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clear-Mind-Web
    I have never done this, although I have installed a lot of tile on vertical surfaces.

I think you would not need any extra support for porcelain tiles that are smaller in size. As in say 6" or less. For anything larger I would try to use maybe some type of jack system with a piece of plywood roughly the same size as the ceiling. It would be good to reinforce the plywood with some 2x4s so that the force from the jack is evenly distributed. Or use more than 1 jack point.

You should use a thinset mortar that you have to mix and as you apply the mortar to the ceiling (preferably you use hardi-backer as a sub-surface on the ceiling) make sure that you "work it" into the ceiling well so that it has a good contact with the ceiling. DO NOT SET THE TILE ONTO SHEETROCK OR GREENROCK.

Thank you. I think I am in for a big job!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 01:49 PM
    This surprised me, you got 3 answers and none of what was said makes any sense at all. I think folks who know as much as you happened to come along. I install tile in baths all the time. Floor are the easiest followed by walls. Ceilings are the hardest but only on your neck and back. A tile, no matter the size, that is properly set in modified thinset will not fall. They get a little twist and hard push when you set them and that's all there is to it. The trowel needs to match the size of the tile. A large 12" tile needs a 1/4" trowel that leaves about a pound of thinset on the tile, it stick let all get out.

Jun 27, 2008, 04:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    This surprised me, you got 3 answers and none of what was said makes any sense at all. I think folks who know as much as you happened to come along. I install tile in baths all the time. Floor are the easiest followed by walls. Ceilings are the hardest but only on your neck and back. A tile, no matter the size, that is properly set in modified thinset will not fall. They get a little twist and hard push when you set them and thats all there is to it. The trowel needs to match the size of the tile. A large 12" tile needs a 1/4" trowel that leaves about a pound of thinset on the tile, it stick let all get out.
    Thanks--getting too many answers that are all different is confusing to a beginner!
    TMM
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 05:05 PM
    Hey TMM:

No need for confusion anymore... Ballenger is the expert here! Listen to him. I've been installing tile for decades now and as he said, " A tile, no matter the size, that is properly set in modified thinset will not fall."

Good luck...

Mark
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 06:46 PM
    Thanks for the support Mark. It must be slow on the plumbing desk so we both found ourselves here. Its kind of related to bathroom romedling, right?

Jun 28, 2008, 07:25 PM
    So glad to have you guys!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to tile (ceramic) a bathroom ceiling? [ 9 Answers ]

My basement bathroom ceiling is very low (7ft), especially over the shower/tub area. As a result, I am installing ceramic tile on the ceiling because of the moisture thing. I'm already using the same 12x12 ceramic tile on the floor and walls. This tile is recommended for floor or walls. I...

Attaching ceramic corner shelf to ceramic tiles [ 3 Answers ]

I want to add a couple of ceramic shelves to my bathroom ceramic tub surround. What can you use to attach ceramic shelves to ceramic tiles? I tried the same glue used to put tiles on the drywall but they just slide. Thanks in advance!

Shower tiling [ 2 Answers ]

If I'm retiling my shower, do I have to replace the pan, or can I just rough up the shower floor tile, and tile right over. I will definitely remove the wall tile, but the pan is fine and a lot of extra work.

Tiling with No Grout [ 1 Answers ]

I have chosen pitted travertine/marble tiles, 4x4, for a kitchen backsplash. The tiles are cut such that they fit together perfectly, and because the surface is slightly "pillowed", the effect of no grout with the tiles placed side to side is absolutely stunning. My installer had me lay out a 3x6...

Tiling [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my first bathroom. I am planing on tiling the shower/tub.. my question is the transition from tile to painted wall.. with the cement backer do I butt it up to drywall? What do I do about the seam? Mud and tape?

View more questions Search