Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2014, 08:53 PM
    Cats, What, are you trying to put words in my mouth, Yes the spread of HIV does have a lot to do with sexual preference and also with drug use preference but that genie was out of the bottle before we understood the risks but ebola is still capable of being contained and should be.

As far as children are concerned we should care for them as we care for others and if their parents want to give that close personal contact and take the risk then they will need to be isolated, but we should keep the emotion out of this. SARS isn't a problem today because severe measures were taken to contain it, we should learn from that and treat this outbreak in the same way. Perhaps an embargo on hunting wild animals for food needs to be imposed in Africa and perhaps a cull of fruit bats should be contemplated in certain places, there seems to be a number of diseases harboured by the bat population
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 3, 2014, 09:48 PM
    Do you really think those infected whilst caring for the sick in Africa didn't take all possibe precautions? And yet medical staff were infected.
    Yes, they took all possible precautions, however, since their supplies are low, gloves, gowns and masks are reused when they are even available. They don't have isolation units available. Medications and supplies are in very short supply.

While I do believe there are risks involved, I also believe it's being totally blown out of proportion.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2014, 05:32 AM
    I'm glad I don't live in Atlanta or I'd be raising holy hell about them dragging them back here to treat. I'd personally make sure EVERYONE that made that decision had to be exposed with all the other professionals. Sorry, but there are several doctors who died KNOWING what they were dealing with wearing biosuits... and I don't think bringing something so dangerous closer to home where if anything goes wrong it can get significantly worse in a hurry.

Sure its bad enough they have it in that region... lets share the misery and spread it around to a lot more places. Maybe London, Paris, Bejing, Moscow Buenos Aries, and a few other places and be fair about it.
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2014, 06:33 AM
    smoothy you know the bleeding hearts don't see the big picture
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2014, 06:35 AM
    I completely agree clete...
    Expert

Aug 4, 2014, 06:48 AM
    Well, I'm not a bleeding heart. We have basically eradicated smallpox, polio, etc. It has to start somewhere.

I can't say that I am entirely comfortable with them coming here, but what a breakthrough this could be.
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2014, 06:58 AM
    ... or a disaster.

I've learned the worst that can happen is far more likely to happen than the most optimistic is.

Besides... thats the basic premise behind CYA... prepare for the worst... but hope for the best... rather than damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead, we deal with it after the boat sinks.

Particularly with what little they do know about this and the very, very high mortality rate. Study it where its endemic... rather than take the risks it can spread farther.

Didn't the NIH (National Institute of Health) just find 50+ year old live smallpox cultures and other dieseases forgotten in a closet recently?

And that IS in my back yard.

FDA found more than smallpox vials in storage room - The Washington Post

"Federal officials found more than just long-forgotten smallpox samples recently in a storage room on the National Institutes for Health campus in Bethesda, Md. The discovery included 12 boxes and 327 vials holding an array of pathogens, including the virus behind the tropical disease dengue and the bacteria that can cause spotted fever...."
    Expert

Aug 4, 2014, 07:06 AM
    I understand prepare for the worst and hope for the best more than the average person. I practice it every night when I hit the time clock.

I think this situation is more hype. Yes, it is dangerous and deadly, but we are not a third world country. There was the avian flu, mad cow, SARS, etc. They are no longer a fear.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 4, 2014, 12:11 PM
    There was the avian flu, mad cow, SARS, etc. They are no longer a fear.
    Right. Neither is AIDS. Going to update my pandemic kit now.
    Expert

Aug 4, 2014, 03:14 PM
    Neither is AIDS
    Not with the right precautions. I've delivered babies to many of women who have HIV/AIDS, I've come into contact with their bodily fluids. I took the proper precautions and I'm still healthy as a horse.
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2014, 03:20 PM
    This is the same old debate whether it is pandemics, drugs or anything else, it becomes a emotive issue that we have the answers and we will overcome because we are smart, but we are not that smart. The drug companies aren't working on a cure because there is no money in it, but of course if it gets loose in the US population they will change their attitude and produce millions of doses of a vaccine and make billions even if it is well say 50% effective,
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 4, 2014, 03:24 PM
    I do agree with J, I am a front line worker for the Canadian Red Cross, god, I have been exposed to all sorts of deadly viruses and we are warned and trained; we use standard and universal precautions for each one as it comes to us. I am still here, and cross fingers, healthy and still working and listening to what others have to say.

I am exposed every day and I know what I am getting into. But I do think we need to stop talking about something we know nothing about for now.

The Canadian press is not raising flags because there are non to raise right now
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2014, 03:26 PM
    I view it this way... the same people in the government who were telling us there is nothing to fear are the same people that were swearing Obamacare would save everyone at least $2,500 a year over what they were paying and they could keep their old doctors.

That was a lie too despite whatever colorful euphamisms they use to avoid that three letter word.
    Expert

Aug 4, 2014, 03:36 PM
    Tick, they just don't understand that they can't get Ebola just from standing in a room with someone who has it.
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2014, 03:41 PM
    And I've heard two epidemiologists on the radio say it's a lot easier then we are being told. And since its a virus thats always mutating... the possibility of it becoming airborne always exists in the future. One of them even stated its possible for someone that survived it to infect someone else two months later.

There isn't a lot of consensus on this which also speaks volumes.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 4, 2014, 04:48 PM
    Why does no consensus speak volumes smoothy. It just means they don't know all the facts yet. There is no subterfuge.
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 4, 2014, 05:01 PM
    It just means they don't know all the facts yet.
    So they're going to bring 2 carriers that contracted the disease despite knowing what precautions to take and dropping them into an isolation ward in one of the biggest cities in the country. Don't get me wrong, Emory Hospital may possibly be the best in the world for studying infectious disease, but they don't know the vectors.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2014, 05:08 PM

Local researchers at center of Ebola fight Page 1 of 2 | UTSanDiego.com

Pest Control Expert

Aug 4, 2014, 05:14 PM
    It may already be too late.

Mount Sinai patient who traveled to West Africa tested for Ebola virus | 7online.com
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2014, 05:24 PM
    Tickle... no consensus means they really don't know half of what they are trying to make us believe they do. And on something this deadly... thats dangerous. Because they are downplaying the severity of something they really know little about.

If nothing comes of this in a year or two...then I'll relax...I don't trust anyone from the government trying to tell us anything these days because they have lied about essentially everything for years now....why should I pick this one thing to believe they are being honest about?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search