Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hemlok Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Huge painfull lump behind my ear
    So every few weeks I get a huge painful lump behind my ear always in a slightly different spot. It goes away in about a week or so but then a couple weeks later it reappears. This is the 4th time and its bigger and more painful. What is it? When the growth isn't there there are always little hard bumps. I don't have insurance so I am trying to figure out if I need a doctor or not.
    finessed1 Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2007, 07:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hemlok
    so every few weeks i get a huge painful lump behind my ear always in a slightly different spot. it goes away in about a week or so but then a couple weeks later it reappears. this is the 4th time and its bigger and more painful. what is it? when the growth isnt there there are always little hard bumps. i dont have insurance so i am trying to figure out if i need a doctor or not.
    My best friend sometimes has the same problem. If you get an answer could you please let me know? My son had a huge lump like that with the same characteristics. The doctors said is was something's called a lymphnoid (to my knowledge). They said that there was no medicine that could take it away and that it would leave on it's own. It did. They said it could come from various reasons but the one that really sticks in my mind at the time was that it could have came from a reaction to a cat sctrach.
    Morphius Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Apr 8, 2007, 04:55 PM
    My sister suffered from something very similar to what you're describing and was told it was swollen glands (could be what you're referring to finessed1) but I'm pretty sure she was given a course of anti-biotics as it was an infection making them swell.

With regards to your uncertainty of visiting the doctor, if it's bothering and causing you pain (which you shouldn't have to suffer) it's enough reason to go! Even if nothing can be done, I'm sure the doctor can put your mind at ease.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 8, 2007, 05:29 PM
    So far everyone is pretty right. It is most likely a swollen lymph node. They usually occur after a cold or some sort of infection, sometimes they can occur with allergies.

If you are concerned you can visit a health clinic in your area. Many are free of charge or on a sliding scale fee according to your income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lump behind my ear... I'm only 15 [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, I also have a small lump behind my ear, I noticed it yesterday and it does hurt a bit when I move my ear, what could this be? I have never had me ear pierced or any other problems related to my ear. Any one know what it could be? Should I see my doctor?

Lump Behind Ear? [ 19 Answers ]

Hello, I have descovered that I have a bump behind my right ear. It wasn't there until few days ago when I noticed it. When I touch it, its hard but does not hurt. I don't know what it may be, can some one please tell me what it could be and if I need to see a doctor. Thanks

Lump behind my ear [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I've had a lump behind my ear for over a month now, at first I thought it was a spot but it didn't go away and has started to get sore, it's the size of a pea. What should I do :confused:

Lump in ear [ 1 Answers ]

I have a pea size lump at the top part of my ear right the cover bit however its like behind my ear its painful to touch and I haven't been unwell. Its also grown abit in size what could it be please

Lump behind ear [ 1 Answers ]

I've got a lump on my head. On the hairless area right behind my ear. It's about the size of a nickel, kind of hard, definitely not attatched to my skull because I can move it around, and it itches from time to time. I've had it for about a year I guess. Any guesses on what it might be?

View more questions Search