Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    garboozle Posts: 139, Reputation: -5

Jul 31, 2014, 03:01 PM
    Could a bad key chip cause?.
    Oldsmobile 88 1992 3.8L Eng.

Okay, so I was driving down the road when my car completely shut off,all the warning lights came on, the brake pedal became rigid, and I lost my power steering. I managed to turn onto a side road as the car came to a stop. I tried restarting the car, the engine would turn but the car wouldn't start. The radio, lights and windows worked. About 10 minutes later the car started right back up and ran fine although the brake warning light was still on.. However it did this exact whole routine twice more on the ride home.. Other than this the car runs fine... Oh and the gas gauge is way off (Still says I'm full). The brake warning light doesn't come on any longer as well.

Now I took it to my bro's buddy who is a mechanic in training, he hooked it up to his computer and it said it was giving anti theft code and that it was most likely a bad key... When I went to get a new key they told me the key was acting up BUT if my car was already running the key/anti-theft system wouldn't give me trouble... And another mechanic said roughly the same thing.. If it's already running the anti-theft won't effect the car and that the crank sensors are known to go on the fritz with the 3.8s.

So now I'm wondering should I take it somewhere else to get it scanned, or just get a new key and see if it happens again?. The car seems to run fine on short trips, drove it to work today (4 minute trip) and to the library (10 minute trip) and no problem... Advice would be much appreciated :)
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 31, 2014, 03:52 PM
    The crank sensor should be cheap to replace. Also make sure you get the updated one for your engine if it has never been replaced. Be sure to use locktite when you reassemble so the bracket doesnt vibrate loose.
    garboozle Posts: 139, Reputation: -5

Jul 31, 2014, 04:36 PM
    So you think that's the problem then?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 1, 2014, 05:13 AM
    You may be losing your fuel pump. You might just replace the 'tank unit' which includes both the fuel pump and the fuel level sender as one.
    If the crank sensor was the culprit, you'd have a code. Fuel pump failure won't set a code on that car but it will allow the start and stop that you've described.
    Also, I wouldn't use locktite on ANY sensor that may fail again in the future.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 2, 2014, 06:44 AM
    CR- locktite is part of the factory instructions for that part. The fact that you wouldnt use it puts you at risk for failure of that part again do to its location.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2014, 07:18 AM
    It sounds like classic Ignition Control Module (ICM) failure, to me, especially if the problem persists after replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it a key or ignition problem when I can't turn my key to start 1998 Honda Accord? [ 4 Answers ]

I stopped to get gas in my 1998 Honda Accord Sedan. When I got back into my car and tried to start it I couldn't get the key to turn at all. It's as if it was on lockdown. I tried to turn the wheels since sometimes I've had to turn the wheels for it to release the lock and start. That didn't...

Is it hard to change ecu and key code box in my 96 1.4 civic? Lost my key [ 3 Answers ]

Is it hard to change ecu and key code box in my 1.4 1996 honda civic , and it has an immobilizer what's really the best way to start my car immedietly

Jammed thumb bad, did I chip the tip on the bone? Painful when press [ 2 Answers ]

I was playing basketball and Jammed my thumb really bad with the ball. Didn't think it was a big deal and kept playing on it. Now its 9 days later and the pain is still there, the thumb still look like its been jammed and is still swell up. The 3 day after the jammed, it was hard for me to button...

Need RAV4 chip key [ 15 Answers ]

Just bought a 2008 RAV4 with 9k miles on it from a local Toyota dealer to which the RAV was traded in on a smaller vehicle. Passed my look-see and my mechanics more detailed examination and servicing. Drives and rides well. PROBLEM is, it came with just one key and with my wife and 2 kids...

View more questions Search