Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DCResident1806 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2014, 01:41 PM
    Gift tax if you set up a 529 for yourself
    Hi Everyone,

I would like to open an 529 account for myself . My question is that if I am the account owner as well as the beneficiary, does the gift tax rule apply in my case ? In other words, can I deposit a lump-sum of $80,000 when I open the 529 account without incurring any gift tax rule? And do I have to file Form 709 in that year? As I understand, a person can't give gift to himself, am I right?

Any suggestion or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Eric
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 31, 2014, 02:21 PM
    Yes, you can set up a 529 plan naming yourself as beneficiary. And no, there are no gift tax issues - no need to file a Form 709. The IRS doesn't set any rules on how much you can put into a plan in a given year, but many states do, and since the states run these plans you will need to check the rules for the state where you are thinking of setting up your plan to see what the limits are, if any.

Jul 31, 2014, 07:16 PM
    Thanks a lot.

Aug 1, 2014, 06:04 AM
    Hi ebaines, sorry to bother you again. I have a following up question. I totally agreed with you because that's what I thought too. But I could not confirm it anywhere. Do you know any IRS rulings on this issue? Thank you.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 1, 2014, 07:58 AM
    There are no rulings because it's never been disputed. For reference see this: 529 Plans: Questions and Answers Note the following, about half way down the page:

Q. Can anyone set up a 529 plan?
    A. Yes. You can set one up and name anyone as a beneficiary — a relative, a friend, even yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gift tax [ 5 Answers ]

My wife inherited a cd in the amount of $25K from her uncle when he passed away, is any portion of the 25K excluded from federal tax under the gift tax exemption? Thanks, Rj914

NJ resident working in NY - would NY 529 reduce my NY tax? [ 3 Answers ]

I am an NJ resident and started working in NY this year. 80% of my income will come from this job. I believe I will end up paying higher taxes in NY. I understand NY offers tax benefits on 529. If I take out an NY 529, would that help reduce my NY tax? I am hoping that it will reduce the NY...

Capital tax gain tax gift home [ 4 Answers ]

Mom wants to gift me,daughter,her home as I am disabeled on SS for 8 yrs with $1000 a month income. MOm has not lived in empty home for 1 yr and 8 months due to being in a nursing home. I haven't lived in her home in 10 yrs and want to stay in my apartment and will not live in the home ever. ...

Estate Tax and gift tax [ 1 Answers ]

My husband owns a house which we are living in together, and still have a big mortgage. If my husband adds me onto your deed for his house, is it treated as a gift and he or I have to pay gift tax? If he die without adding me onto his deed, do I have to pay Estate tax? If we get...

View more questions Search