Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nysteve999 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2014, 10:59 AM
    Ac won't shut off
    I have two central AC units. One of them will not shut off when the desired temps is reached, It will also not shut off when the switch is set to off. The only way to turn it off is with the breaker. I have changed thermostats, disconnected the thermostat wire to the unit, and even swapped the control board and still have the same issue. Both the blower and condenser keep running. When I turn off the breaker to the blower/furnace the condenser shuts off. Any ideas of what it could be?
    bitters Posts: 348, Reputation: 12

Jul 31, 2014, 11:13 AM
    Did you remove the stat wires on the board?
    nysteve999 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2014, 11:19 AM
    I did disconect the stat wire. Thought it may have been shorted (mice). No change.
    bitters Posts: 348, Reputation: 12

Jul 31, 2014, 05:02 PM
    Yea I was thinking rodent too. Post the model number and we can see what we can do.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 31, 2014, 09:06 PM
    I would remove one of the low voltages wires to the contactor in the condenser unit to see if it opened, breaking the high voltage circuit. If the contactor opens, I would then remove a low voltage wire at the air handler. If contactor opens you can then look for the relay that opens to break the connection to the contactor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace won't shut off/blower won't shut off? [ 0 Answers ]

We have a gas furnace that is acting up. When you turn it on, the heat just keeps running. If I flip the switch on the thermostat to off, the heat turns off, but the fan stays on until I shut the system off entirely. We replaced the thermostat earlier this year because the a/c was doing the same...

Carrier CD5BXA036000AAAA fan won't shut off; heat and A/C won't turn on [ 4 Answers ]

A few days ago everything worked fine. I left for a few hours and when I came home that night only the fan worked and it wouldn't shut off. The thermostat looked to have gone mad, the temperature reading on the thermostat was changing up and down within three degrees despite that fact that the air...

Why won't heater won't shut down even in off position and passing set temperature ? [ 1 Answers ]

The heater will not shut down whither exceeding set temperature or being turned off. I replaced the thermostat and plugged the heater in again. It started immediately even in the heat off position. Could it be the ignition control or a thermo coupler? I'm not talking about the fan blower but the...

My Mom Won't Shut Up and My dad won't shut up, noise noise. Annoyed. [ 18 Answers ]

My mom nevers shut up. She repeats everything and reminds me about everything. Also, my dad eats with his mouth open cause he's old and I have to hear it because my computer is near the dining room, actually basically in probably. Also, my big brother laughs upstairs at his anime.. My twin brother...

Carrier Heater won't shut off! Blows only cool air. Heat won't work! [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what I can do? My carrier heater is only 2 years old. As of yesterday the heater unit wouldn't shut off and when I turn the heat up it just keeps blowing cool air. I heard I can trip a breaker switch. Is that the electrical switch in the garage or on the heater itself? Please let...

View more questions Search