Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelaneal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2014, 10:35 AM
    How come there are scammers?Be careful when you transact online.
    I just like to add this question because I've scammed by a so called company <name removed> and the contact person is Regina. Which will give you her email address and skype id to contact her. But when you made payment she will give you a tracking number in Chinese that you would not understand. Then when your package arrived instead of cellphone on my experience it's a headset not even a cent worth of what you paid for and then she will block you on skype and won't answer any of your inquiry anymore in email. Beware friends.I am also wondering if there are someone here who's been a victim of online shopping scam and what did you do about it?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2014, 10:58 AM
    If it looks too good to be true then it is.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2014, 11:40 AM
    I agree with NeedKarma, I don't know of any business that uses skype for any transactions. And the first indication of a possible scam is prices too good to be true. If there was a fat enough margin to make money there would be others doing it to and making up for it in volume. But with consumer goods... there isn't a huge profit margine because of competition.

Do you have a link to the product you was scammed on? Sometimes they show one photo which can sometimes be a misleading one, then the description has something completely different.. and the item you are buying is what's described.

I've seen that happen on eBay in certain rare cases.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2014, 11:41 AM
    The site is already dead.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2014, 11:44 AM
    Ah... a hit and run operation. No question about that then. Many times they don't even bother to ship anything.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 31, 2014, 12:14 PM
    Thousands of people are scammed every year in the US alone.
    There is nothing you can do. Yes, there's a contact site run by the FBI, but it's not going to help one bit. The sites and emails can all disappear in a flash and can't be traced. A name like 'Regina' is meaningless.
    They count on you to be naïve and GREEDY. By greedy I just mean hoping for that super bargain. Super bargains don't exist. There ARE bargains, but you have to search established sites like Amazon and eBay, where there is buyer protection. I've bought stuff on eBay that was shipped from Walmart or Amazon, because I didn't do my homework. That's totally legal - my fault for not looking enough.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 31, 2014, 12:48 PM
    You ask: "How come there are scammers?" Two reasons. 1) Because there are dishonest people who have no ethics or morals and think nothing of taking money from people. 2) Because there are foolish, naïve or greedy people who fall for the come-ons of these scammers. If there were no victims they couldn't exist.

I personally, have not been victimized because I do my due diligence before placing an order.

Note, however, if the order was placed by credit card, call your card issuer immediately. If this was a scam they can usually do something about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ghanna scammers [ 13 Answers ]

I have been reading all these scams coming out of Ghana. I have been talking with a woman from ghana she is pretty and everything she says has been true. I didn't believe het so I asked het to send me a picture with her holding a sign with my name on it. She did and I couldn't find anywhere were it...

Scammers/ fraud [ 8 Answers ]

I am currently receiving emails from I suspected scammers they have sent me a cert saying they will pay me 550,0000 pounds as I have won a promotion from their company I want to know my legal rights and if proven they are trying to scam me what I am entitled to as I believe I may be a potential...

Well too many scammers on other sites [ 8 Answers ]

Also I wanted to be true to everyone around here.. I have been using Benzylarb. For over a year now... with absolutely no results whatsoever. The funny part I stuck loyally to the forum that propagates that product for a very long time.. and had total faith in it meaning I never visited...

I have a scammers ip, what next? [ 6 Answers ]

I own an internet business, and I have discovered that someone or some company have been placing bogus, misleading and obcene adverts perpetrating to be ours on forums and advertising websites. Not only has this caused us to loose business but it also gives the impression that I am running an...

View more questions Search