Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foreverromantic Posts: 177, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2014, 05:01 PM
    Computer/ Web Cam Question
    I use a Hewlett Packard Desktop computer with Windows 7 and it was purchased in Oct. 2009. I would like to install SKYPE where I could "see" my relatives in another area. They all have laptops and I "believe" the camera is built into the laptops. A few days ago I got a message in the middle of my screen saying "Web Cam is not on". Does this mean this computer already has it, OR do I need to buy that small camera (with speakers) to put on top of my monitor and then do I download the program for this ? I am unclear about this. Would I still be able to call them from my normal land line? Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 26, 2014, 06:16 PM
    Did you install Skype? The message indicates that you started a program that tried to find your Web cam. But since you don't have one installed it reported it not on. You don't need speakers, I would recommend getting a USB headset with mic rather than using the web cam's mic to avoid echoing.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 28, 2014, 01:38 PM
    Another thing you can do is go to the HP website and look up your laptop and see what it came with when they sold it. That should tell you if it came with one or not. Then you can check in control panel to see if the drivers are installed. If all of that is correct then check to see if you pushed a button (usually located at the top of keyboard) that is related to your webcam and if it is turned off. If you get everything working properly I believe there is a part of skype that has a "mirror" feature where you can test it out without connecting to anyone. It just sends your signal back to you so you can see how it looks to someone else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Web Cam [ 2 Answers ]

Can you use a web cam as a security camera. Yawcam has the software. But will it work?

Web cam? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a webcam, but when we bought our new computer we couldn't find the disk I browsed the internet and its called a VP-EYE... but I was wondering if anyone knew how to install it without a disc..

Web cam [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am seeking an individual who could save me some time on research. I am looking to set up my own web cam business catering to fetishes etc. My boyfriend is in taking care of the promotion aspect and has people who can build a web page etc. How does the payments work. Where or...

Web Cam on XP [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to install my webcam onto XP and when loading I get an error saying ' The file "omcam USD.D11" on dual mode PC camera driver disk is needed' I have the installation disk so is there something on XP I need to change? The cam (cheap one) is a spacecam200 from itrust.

View more questions Search