Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dswwi5 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2005, 10:10 PM
    Taking out Norton completely
    Hello,

My name is Sharon from Boston, I couldn't remove Norton, either. I went in remove programs, etc. some worked others didn't.. I had to have someone technical who could go into DOS to remove it from the Directory.. Until it was removed, I could not install McFee.. Good Luck.

Sharon,
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Feb 26, 2005, 08:49 PM
    OH no,
    Get rid of Norton and Mcafee and Panda if you have it.

Anti Vir and AVg Anti virus programs are both free and both rated better than the 3 above resource hogs, that can't stop or defend your system from as many viruses and threats as the 2 free ones. :)
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2005, 09:03 PM
    Also try clamwin av pretty good. www.clamwin.com but avg I would have to say is a great free one
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2005, 04:25 AM
    Norton
    Hi, Sharon,
    I don't understand your post, but if you wanted to get rid of Norton, you can use a good free Registry cleaner, then delete all the remaining folders and files from Windows Explorer, after the Add/Remove Programs delete.

Norton is better than the one you are using now.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 27, 2005, 04:50 AM
    Taking out Norton
    Visit http://www.majorgeeks.com and get Reg Scrub XP.It's freeware and good at getting rid of junk from the registry.I'd also recommend Bit Defender anti-virus.It's not freeware but it beats Norton and Mcafee hands down.

Nez.

Feb 27, 2005, 01:29 PM
    More
    Hi Fredg,

I had tested Mcafee,Norton,PCCillin the free Anti Vir and free AVG and free AVast anti-virus programs, I put in some pretty nasty stuff to test it with on a test system I have, I put in or attempted to put in 25 Viruses and 10 trojans I had collected, all are pretty well known and available to wreck your systems around the net.

In this order is how they did,
    1. Anti Vir was the only one that caught and found and got rid of everything.
    2. PC Cillin missed only 2 Viruses and 1 Trojan.
    3. Avast missed 3 Viruses and 2 Trojans
    4. AVG missed 4 Viruses and 1 Trojan.
    5. Mcafee missed 6 Viruses, 2 Trojans and then froze up my system trying to get rid of another one.
    6. Nortona miss 7 Viruses and no Trojans, but also froze things up while scanning twice.

I attempted to test Bit Defender, I did 2 things, 1st I downloaded their free Demo, it would freeze up after scanning less than 10%, I cleaned it out and reinstalled it 3 more times, same results, and each time I downloaded a fresh copy of it, and from 2 different locations.

Then I obtained a copy of the Full version off Peer2Peer and 1 off Bittorrent, 1 copy while scanning made it to 25% before locking up on me, the other around 15% or so, I sent off several emails to the copy, informing them of my problems with their Demo and telling them I wanted to test it, as I may be considering purchasing the program, and added that I was testing other companies demo's but that Bit Defender was the only one, that I had real problems with.

The only odd thing about my problems with Bit Defender is, the program is made by Cyberlink, which makes Power DVD, which I love, and Power2Go and excellent CD Burning program, and they make many other excellent programs.

But at this time based on what I experienced with Bit Defender, I can't endorse it, all I can say is the problems I had with it and tell anyone to just try it out and compare to the others, but still it just can't be better than the top 3 free ones, so why bother with it. :D
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 27, 2005, 03:02 PM
    Sharon,
    Go to Symantec.com and look for RNAV for your version of Norton. That can remove it completely.

Feb 27, 2005, 03:40 PM
    Bit Defender
    Anti-virus use is subjective,and what is prime steak to one person,is another's poison chalice.I too have used Norton,Mcafee,AVG,et el over the years of net surfing,and have been disappointed with something or other.

I'm one of those restless souls that's hard to please.I do have Anti.Vir,which you can download from www.free-av.com/ on my 'reserve' home PC.Yet lately on my main PC I have been using Bit Defender 8.0,which so far has proved to be faultless.It installed easily,updates without fuss and answers the phone (the last entry was a lie :D )

Have a look at www.Anti-Virus-Software-Review.com and read why it got a gold award.I can't endorse Wendy's review from my perspective,but then how boring it would be if we all agreed on every product.

All the best,
    Nez.

Bit Defender is made by Softwin,a Romanian family owned company.

Power DVD is made by Cyberlink.
    bitingmyfeet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2005, 05:32 AM
    Not Working
    I installed Bit Defender 8 Pro, and re-installed and still nothing happens. Nothing happens in that nothing shows in the net zone, all zeroes in cookies, firewall or anything else for that matter - with the exception of scanning my system for viruses in which case it works fine. I might have 'purchased' it too soon.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2005, 08:26 AM
    Antivirus Programs
    Hi, Wendy225,
    Thank you so very, very much for your wonderful post about Antivirus Programs... it is GREAT.
    Personally, I still like Norton Antivirus, but do not use anything such as Norton Clean Sweep, Disk Doctor, etc... just the plain old Antivirus.
    Also use AdAware, SpyBot, CCleaner, and the very best Spyware Blaster, new version; along with of course, CWShredder for any CoolWeb stuff.

Thanks again for the very informative post.
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Mar 14, 2005, 09:04 AM
    More
    As far as Bitdefender Pro, I tried it, had trouble with it, it would only scan to less than 50% no matter what I tried, then it would freeze, so I could not test this one.

Anti Vir and Avast and AVG are all free and better programs, so why pay for any Anti Virus progs,

Also Fredg, by using Norton, you have no idea what Norton may be missing as I did, I had a virus and Trojan, lying dormat on my system, until they were activated, Norton and Mcafee did not detect these, also had my email trojan problem, that I could not find the answer to, turned out Anti Vir was the only one to find these hidden problems, so you never know when Norton will let that 1 virus or Trojan slip through, I learned long ago, Norton, is most likely one of the companies helping spread viruses as to enhance there financial future, no one would ever know and they would profit more, I do know for a fact that the owner of Norton, deals with hackers and pirates all the time, and even hires many of them, so it would be an easy thing for them to do and actually a smart one, that's reason enough besided the viruses they don't detect to get rid of them.

And my question is, just because you like Norton, why use them when there is proof on most websites and magazines that review Anti Virus programs,that Norton has slipped below the others, why take a chance on using Norton or Panda or Mcafee, oh well that's your choice, I have tried to change your mind, with proof.
    :rolleyes:

Mar 14, 2005, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy225
    I learned long ago, Norton, is most likely one of the companies helping spread viruses as to enhance there financial future, no one would ever know and they would profit more, I do know for a fact that the owner of Norton, deals with hackers and pirates all the time, and even hires many of them, so it would be an easy thing for them to do and actually a smart one, that's reason enough besided the viruses they dont detect to get rid of them.

And my question is, just because you like Norton, why use them when there is proof on most websites and magazines that review Anti Virus programs,that Norton has slipped below the others, why take a chance on using Norton or Panda or Mcafee, oh well thats your choice, I have tried to change your mind, with proof.
    :rolleyes:
    Wendy,
    I would be careful about making accusations you can't prove. You never know who might be monitoring. As for the "owner of Norton". Are you referring to Peter Norton? He's had nothing to do with Norton branded apps since Symantec bought him out years ago. That may be why its come down in the world. They bought his name and image and he now spends his time doing philanthropic work. I've met Peter and while I sort of resent him in some ways, I know he would never be a party to the type of subterfuge you accuse him of. It does not surprise me that he has dealt with hackers, though I wouldn't be sure about pirates. After all he was one himself. His riches come mostly from the fact that he hacked DOS and discovered that files weren't deleted, just that their entry in the FAT was changed to start with a? This discovery led to the first UnDelete utility that was such a shareware success that he was able to go commercial. By the way, Symantec "owns" Norton brand name and Symantec is a publicly traded company so no one person can be said to be the "owner of Norton".

As for changing Fred's mind... well that would better be left unsaid. I don't want Fred to bother the moderators with more wine & cheese. ;)

Mar 14, 2005, 01:01 PM
    Peter Norton
    Just thought I'd add this url

http://www.glencoe.com/norton/norton...on/index.phtml

A very interesting site.It deals with all aspects of computing,but doesn't mention pirates I'm afraid.

For those interested in the history of pirates,visit this site :D

http://www.legends.dm.net/pirates/

All the best
    Nez :D

Mar 14, 2005, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    For those interested in the history of pirates,visit this site :D
    All the best
    Nez :D
    Shiver me timbers :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet will not flush completely [ 26 Answers ]

Hi, I had just found this forum and this is my first post. My elderly parents live in a 2 story old home with two bathrooms, one on each floor. The toilet on the ground level flushes fine. The one upstairs will not flush solids without filling up a bucket of water and emptying it in the toilet....

Algebra 2 help-factoring completely... [ 4 Answers ]

I am having trouble with a problem, I have to factor the problems down as far as possible, yet I am not too sure how to do it... here are a few problems that I would like some help with: b24 - 625 (24 is in the powers position) 10,000- x8 (8 is in the powers position also) Any help...

And now for something completely different [ 84 Answers ]

Yes that's right Boys and Girls, step right up and... Ask Me Anything The Rules Ask me anything you want that isn't to do with this site and I will answer in a style of my choosing. That's the rules done, now what are you waiting for? Ok I know it's on the wrong board, but this is...

Completely saddened. [ 77 Answers ]

I know everyone in this fine world is free to their own opinions but as I was browsing through the internet reading articles about wicca and paganism I came across this web site http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Wicca%20&%20Witchcraft/wicca_exposed.htm. And I find it to be one of the...

Toilet will not completely flush [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced all the insides of my toilet, now when I flush I have to hold the handle down until all the water runs out of the bowl. If not almost as soon as I let the handle go the flapper will cover up the hole that drains the water into the bowl. I know this is easily fixable, but I don't...

View more questions Search