Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tunatime Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2014, 08:36 AM
    Can I plug a 120/220 plug into a 30A-125/250 outlet and how?
    Hello,I have a Mig welder with a 220 plug on it.I have a dryer outlet, it's a Leviton 4 plug/wire 30A-125/250V.The plug on the welder is smaller than the outlet.I can plug welder into my 220 outlet that is used for my air conditioner butthat is located in my living room.The dryer outlet is in the basement in a ideal location.My question is, can I use some sort of an adapter that I could plugmy welder into and plug that into the 30A-125/250V. The manual for welder says you can install a 250v plug if needed.I was hoping to use a plug adapter if they make such a thing.Any help would be great and I'm sorry I don't know all the right terminology.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2014, 05:31 PM
    If your welder is straight 240 VAC, you cannot use the 120/240 dryer outlet, you need a 240 VAC outlet. What does your MIG plug look like, 1 straight and 1 horizontal plus the ground?
    tunatime Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2014, 06:04 AM
    The plug on my MIG is a NEMA (6-50P) 2 straight and 1 ground 1 straight is bigger than the other. My outlet is a NEMA 14-30R.If I cannot find or use an adapter then would you recommend I change the outlet?I do not use the outlet for the dryer anymore.Thank you for your help!

The plug on my MIG is a NEMA (6-50P) 2 straight and 1 ground 1 straight is bigger than the other. My outlet is a NEMA 14-30R.If I cannot find or use an adapter then would you recommend I change the outlet?I do not use the outlet for the dryer anymore.Thank you for your help![/QUOTE]
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2014, 11:45 AM
    The plug on the welder is a straight 240. Just change the outlet to match and use the 2 hots and a ground, not the neutral, just cap it off. I meant 2 horizontals but had a vision of a 20 Amp 120 outlet.
    Studs ad Posts: 134, Reputation: 9

Jul 23, 2014, 01:05 PM
    I don't know of any adaptors that will do what you are looking for, so an adaptor is probably out of the question.

F.W.I.W.
    The 6-50P plug sounds like the typical 50 amp welder plug supplied with most 240 volt welders. That being the case the welder is probably rated at about 40-50 amps. If that is the case then the dryer wiring is legally too small and you shouldn't connect to it.

If you plan on using the welder on a regular basis I would suggest putting the investment into getting the proper breaker and wire and receptacle to the place where you are doing your thing. It just makes sense. The next guy that owns your home may look at the plug you installed at your dryer and match his dryer cord to it not knowing the difference, and he would be out of compliance. Just not a good practice.( If the plug were located somewhere else where it wasn't obvious that it should be a dryer plug, it would not be an issue if the amperage etc. was correct for the wire size and breaker size). The location of the current receptacle would indicate to me that it should be a dryer- next to washing machine outlet, washer drain, dryer vent, laundry room etc.) The electrical part can work, but the application doesn't.

If you are just going to use the welder on rare occasions then converting the dryer plug to the welder could be done providing your welder is rated 30 amps or less, but I don't recommend. You will have to know which wires to connect to your new plug. I can make a lot of things work in a pinch, but it has all been temporary and safe and necessary in the situation and returned to proper state at the first available opportunity. You don't meet that criteria, so my suggestion is to spend the $ and do it the way it should be. You will find the convenience well worth it in the long run if you don't have to run cords all over the place or change the plug out every time you want to use your welder, and you and others safety won't be compromised.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to plug my 220 trailer into a 110 outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a concession trailer that has a 220 plug. However, I have nothing in it that uses 220 right now. When I go to places I need to plug into 110 outlets. I can not find an adapter, and was told I would have to make one myself. Any idea how to do that, or know where I could find a diagram? ...

240 plug to 120 plug [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking at a portable generator for my 5th wheel. It can generate 3500 watts/23 Amps on a 4 prong circular twist lock plug which is rated 124/240 volts AC. I need to make a converter extension cord to change the 4 prong 240 to a 3 prong 120 outlet.(Plug needs a to able to plug in a mobile...

12-3 wiring from gfi plug to outlet to plug in a 110v pool pump [ 5 Answers ]

Need to verify proper wiring for above 110v pool pump.

View more questions Search