Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nisha Solanki Posts: 34, Reputation: 1
    -

Jul 21, 2014, 11:06 AM
    Heat conductivity
    Hello everyone,
    In heat conductivity molecules vibrates, right? Like one molecule vibrates it vibrates the other and it goes on and on and on... So amplitude increases. So if molecules vibrate then why can't we see the object vibrating or at least any kind of movement of the object as objects are made up of molecules?
    Thanks for reading my question. Bless you!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 21, 2014, 11:19 AM
    Two reasons: (1) the molecules don't all vibrate in phase, but rather vibrate randomly, and (2) the amplitude of motion is very, very small.
    AntC Posts: 184, Reputation: 19
    -

Jul 21, 2014, 02:15 PM
    I believe the movement is expressed by the expansion of the material.
    Nisha Solanki Posts: 34, Reputation: 1
    -

Jul 22, 2014, 04:58 AM
    Let me give you the example: The big wall and bricks in it. So if you move 1 brick then it will move the nearby one and on and on. (Heat Conductivity is the transfer of heat from 1 molecule to another. Right?)
    So ultimately the wall will fall. Same is in the case of Heat Conductivity, heat transfers from molecule to molecule and as the object is made up of molecules so it should be obvious that the object will move as components in it will move.

And yeah expansion is the result of it but can anyone give me example of the expansion of some object which expands due to heat conductivity.
    THANKS FOR READING IT!
    BLESS YOU ALL!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 22, 2014, 05:46 AM
    Most materials expand when heated. Metals are a good example.

As for your bricks-in-a-wall analogy - when one object pushes on another the movement of the second object is not instantaneous. From F=ma it's clear that given some pushing force from the fisrt atom the acceleration of the neighboring atom is finite, which means it doesn't move precisely in sequence with the first. Further, that second atom has its own vibration going on as it too has been heated, and there is no reason to think that its vibrations will be in synch with the first. Hence as you consider the vast numbers of atoms in the material the atoms vibrate essntially randomly, and the net movement of material is zero.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need help rearranging termal conductivity formulas [ 1 Answers ]

I know the basics of rearranging formulas but I am not really sure how to rearrange a more complicated formula. I am trying to rearrange a thermal conductivity formula to solve for T1, but I am not really sure how. I someone could walk me through it that would be great. Q/T= KA(T1-T2)/d Am I...

Need conductivity help [ 5 Answers ]

Where can I find whether the following compounds will conduct electricity in the solid state and as an aqueous solution? Sodium chloride, acetaminophen, oxalic acid, sucrose, acetylsalicylic acid, sodium borate, sodium bicarbonate, calcium sulfate, and magnesium carbonate

How to calculate thermal conductivity of a metal bar if heat transfer unidimensiol? [ 0 Answers ]

In one dimensional steady state, how to calculate thermal conductivity of a metal bar?

Chemistry-ionic or covalent, and conductivity [ 1 Answers ]

How do I determine the conductivity of a compound and if it is ionic or covalent? Ex: calcium nitrate, sodium chloride,copper (II) chloride dihydrate?.

Heat conductivity [ 2 Answers ]

Can I get some relations to show that coper is the fastest heat conductor among the five metals; aluminum, copper, brass, steel, nickel?

View more questions Search