Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Jul 21, 2014, 08:57 AM
    Will The Lag Bolt Hold The Weight?
    Took an Idea off Pinterest to Hang a Bed ( Single Mattress ) from the Ceiling using 4 Chains located in the Backdeck Sunroom... The Basic Weight or Stress Factor if you will aside from the chains will be a platform made with 2x4 & plywood and mattress of course... My Intensions are to screw in a 2x4 cross member into the ceiling from stud to stud to that... Then screw in hook lag bolts to hang the chains off.. Hence my Question, Will the Lag Bolts Hold the Weight and if so How much Weight?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2014, 09:15 AM
    Lag bolts aren't all the same size or length, not al lumber is equal either they will be screwed into. Plus its unknown how much weight is acutally on the ceiling studs to begin with because of span, what all is above it as wel as the thickness of the sheetrock, how the roof above it is built and what weight is being born on those.

Lots of unknowns. I also assume you own the house this will be done and aren't renting... and that this isn't an apartment or condominium where those studs are part of the common and not actually owned by you.

Asside from all that, if you are talking a single lag bolt to hold everything....I would highly recomend against it because lag bolts are typically the lowest rated bolts, meaning they are soft and not extremely strong on their own individually.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2014, 09:30 AM
    I would never use lag bolts in that manner. If you have access above the ceiling use thread screw eyes and large fender washers. However, both of them are marked on the tags against your proposed use.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 2 pitt bull puppies poop too much. They can't hold there weight. [ 4 Answers ]

What should I do. Please help me.

Pay lag = terms lag + due lag [ 2 Answers ]

Thus Pay lag = terms lag + due lag State how you would expect the following events to affect each type of lag: a. The company imposes a service charge on late payers. b. A recession causes customers to be short of cash. c. The company changes its terms from net 10 to net 20.

Cast iron toilet flange the bolt holes will not hold how do we fix it and the flange [ 1 Answers ]

We have a cast iron flange and the bolt holes are not useable can we cut off the top and add a new plastic flange

Floor joist conflicts with lag bolt head [ 2 Answers ]

I'm building a "mud room" inside our garage. The width is 5' (13' length) and the joists are 2x6 24" o.c. I have ledger on both sides. My issue is that in 2 places I have lag bolts at the edge of the joist, so it gets in the way of the joist and the hanger. Some options seem to be (1)move the...

View more questions Search