Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cat_and_dog_lover Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 09:33 PM
    Dogs and Cats integration
    I have a dog that is 6-7 years old and two cats one is 5-6 and the other is 13. My cats have been living in our workroom (where all our tools are) and I want to move them into the house but my dog likes to chase cats. Do you think that they will be able to get along soon? :confused:
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2007, 05:31 AM
    Not knowing the breed or size of your dog, makes it difficult to offer up advice. If you have a large dog, even if you were fully comfortable and well versed in this technique, and managed to take the time to desensitize him/her to the cats, it would not be wise to leave them alone together in one area. They may get along well in front of you but the one time that you forget to separate them when you are not around, you take a chance in finding your cat(s) dead when you get home.

Completely desensitizing a dog, especially an older one, is very difficult to do, and takes specialized training, time, and a lot of patience. I have seen it done, but it is not such an easy thing to explain properly online and it is very easy, if you have never done this before, to make a mistake.

Continue to keep them separated. It will be easier on everyone in the long run.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Apr 6, 2007, 01:30 PM
    If the cats have claws, they may can train your dog with one swipe! Be careful!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

Calculus Integration [ 1 Answers ]

Integration of 10/x^2 dx

Dogs and cats repeller what do you have? [ 2 Answers ]

Dogs and cats repeller what do you have?

Why Dogs and Cats are better than Kids [ 6 Answers ]

Why Dogs and Cats are better than Kids They eat less, don't ask for money, whine all the time, are easier to train, usually come when called, never drive your car, don't ever hang out with any drug-using friends, don't smoke or drink, don't wear your clothes, and don't need a gazillion dollars...

List of poisonous foods for cats & dogs [ 8 Answers ]

CAN YOU PLEASE ADD TO THIS LISTING OF POISONOUS FOODS FOR CATS & DOGS WHICH WE MUST NOT FEED THEM AS THEY ARE VERY DANGEROUS? FOR DOGS: CHOCOLATE } GRAPES } including foods that contain them also! RAISINS } FOR CATS: ONIONS } including...

View more questions Search