Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nyokr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2014, 10:26 PM
    Period vs. whole life policy?
    I am beginning to consider life assurance, but am questioning which one is the choice that is best. I notice that period is not more expensive and I may locked in to 20, 10, 15 or 30 years. However whole life policy is being seen by me, and term's more pricey, and I notice that oneday if cash is needed by me, I may drawback some with that policy contract, of it. But I am only questioning... Thanks...
    Nyokr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2014, 10:31 PM
    What's the distinction between whole life policy and term?
    What's the distinction between whole life policy and term? When might it be safer to use one versus another?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 19, 2014, 04:30 AM
    A term policy is just plain insurance - if you die the beneficiary receives the proceeds. In general term life insurance is the least expensive, simplest, and (in my opinion) the most appropriate type of insurance for most people.

Whole Life is a bit more complicated. A portion of your premium pays for life insurance, and a portion goes into an investment. Over time the value of the investment is expected to grow, so that years from now you may be able to redeem it. Sounds good, but you would be better off making these investments yourself, such as in an IRA or 401(k) account. In general I find that the investments associated with insurance policies are too often hard to understand, have high fees, and typically don't let you out without a penalty. Hence it's best that if you want insurance buy insurance (term), and if you want an investment account set up an investment account - don't mix the two.

The fees the insurance agent earns on selling a whole life policy are much greater than when selling term, so they tend to push whole life much harder. There is an old saying that people buy term insurance, and brokers sell whole life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Life insurance policy [ 0 Answers ]

Are these life insurance policies like stateclife are haram or halal? different scholars give different answers.I am totally confused.plz answer my question

Life insurance policy [ 3 Answers ]

Can you take life insurance out on anyone without there knowledge?

Life insurance policy on me? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find out if someone has taken a life insurance policy out on me?

This about Life Insurance Policy [ 1 Answers ]

I just want to know if having a LIFE INSURANCE POLICY is permitted in Islam. Please do reply..

Life Insurance Policy [ 2 Answers ]

My mother died on 9/22/06 and I was told she had a life insurance policy but have yet to find it. She was married to a man who was a drug addict but he never knew that she had one. What are the steps that I need to take to find one on her or to see if she ever had one? Please someone let me know...

View more questions Search