Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1968corvette Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2014, 12:40 PM
    Verbally modified written lease
    HI, does California CCP Section 339, "Statute ofLimitations" on a lease apply, if you have a written lease, but it states"verbally modified", in it, and the lease is breached, the landlord tries to sue 3.7 years later on it, although it states "verbally modified". Well past the 2 year statute on an oral contract. Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 18, 2014, 12:49 PM
    No what applies is this section:

337.2. Where a lease of real property is in writing, no action
    shall be brought under Section 1951.2 of the Civil Code more than
    four years after the breach of the lease and abandonment of the
    property, or more than four years after the termination of the right
    of the lessee to possession of the property, whichever is the earlier
    time.

The landlord seems to be aware of this which is why suit was filed within 4 years. Even if the lease was verbally modified, it would not change the rights as shown for 337.2 in my opinion. You might argue in court, that the breach was part of the verbally modified clauses and therefore would require a short SOL, but I doubt if that would fly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

California written rental lease- verbal changes to a written lease [ 8 Answers ]

I signed a one year lease to a second floor apartment in a two story unit in California. The current tenant of that unit extended making the unit unavailable. The leasing agent verbally offered another like unit on the first floor, right beside the swimming pool with a sliding glass door opening to...

Changing lease verbally. [ 13 Answers ]

I live in Alabama and have a twelve month lease to my condo (currently on month 3). My lease states that I rent the until from XXX to XXX of the next year, rent is due on the first and unit must be kept in good condition. That is all it states. The unit is rented to me solely. My boyfriend has...

Is my lease breached if the maxium occupancy written on the lease is five and there a [ 2 Answers ]

Is my lease breached if it is written on the lease that there is a maximum occupancy of 5 people to be living in the house and there are currently six living and paying rent? The lease describes that "this dwelling will be occupied by a maximum of 5 ( the number being filled in by pen)...

Verbal Lease after written lease agreement - Florida [ 6 Answers ]

I had a signed lease with my renter from March 2006 to October 2006. In September he failed to pay rent due to him trying to get his son from Social Services. We verbally agreed to extend the lease to a month to month basis and him adding an additional $50.00 per month to make up for Septembers...

View more questions Search