Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PROMEDEX Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2014, 12:39 PM
    Portuguese citizenship by marriage
    Good evening

I would like to have some clarity on some isses

My husband and I lived together for a period of 4 years before getting married.. We are now marriage for a year and a half.. Will he be able to get portuguese citizenship by marriage

We are planning to immigrate to portugal and therefore would like to find out about his citizenship and residency

Can you please provide some assistance
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2014, 04:42 PM
    He will need to file for citizenship, it is not automatic. I believe you must be married 3 years, living together most likely will not count since you were not married.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 18, 2014, 05:57 PM
    From reading, several web sites... you will have to be married for 3 years, and the immigration service may want to see that they have use of the Portuguese language.

After three years of marriage application can be made.

They do reconise "common law" or living together, if it was done, representing husband and wife. And was registered in Portugal
    PROMEDEX Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2014, 06:07 AM
    Citizenship and residency
    My husband and I live together for 4 years and have not been officially married for a year..

I was under the impression that portugal recognised common law marraiges - my understanding was that if a couple had live together for a period longer than 6 months as husband and wife it would be seen as a common law spouse.

We are planning to move permantly to portugal - will he be able to get his residency ? We would also like my in laws to join us a couple of months later - we will be taking care of them

Can you please advise on process and give advise

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Portuguese citizenship application for a non portuguese spouse [ 12 Answers ]

Im a portuguese national married to a south african lady. We have been married for 20 years - we have three daughters. Our wedding has been registered with the consulate in South Africa and in Portugal. Our three daughters are proud holders of a portuguese passport. I believe that in the recent...

Married to a Portuguese citizen, live in Canada, how can I get Portuguese Citizenship [ 0 Answers ]

Married to a Portuguese citizen, live in Canada, how can I get Portuguese citizenship? I read somewhere that I can apply for citizenship if I am married to Portuguese citizen for over three years. How do I go about applying and what documents they need, also how long does it take and if I need to...

Portuguese citizenship [ 0 Answers ]

During the apartheid period my mum who is African (still living in Africa), got pregnant by my dad who is Portuguese. Unfortunately, they were not married because the laws prohibited marriage between persons of different races. I was born before the aparthied period was over. My dad got...

View more questions Search