Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigNavySeal Posts: 106, Reputation: 19

Jul 16, 2014, 06:05 AM
    Building my own Mezzanine bedroom
    Hi There,

I just moved into my small cozy studio of 30m2. It has got high ceilings (3 meter), so to utilise space I was thinking of building a small bedrooom mezzanine. I might just go for a high sleeper but a mezzanine is more elegant. Problem is that the walls are mainly soft plasterboard, so extending out of the wall isn't an option. How could I possibly build a simple mezzanine (shouldn't cost too much, and technically I hope to do it by myself), or isn't it an option. I guess just a wooden frame construction larger than a 2 person high sleeper would be my best bet...

Thanks in advance.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2014, 06:19 AM
    3 meter high ceilings isn't all that high, if yo have a space under you can stand up in, you won't be able to sit up in bed without hitting your head.

Have you googled "LOFT BED"? That gives you ideas and if you use the space under for a sofa, a desk or something else... having enough height to stand up becomes less of an issue and it can be a little lower to allow you to at least sit up in bed.

You do want to allow youself at least enough space to sit up comfortably in bed.

Jul 16, 2014, 06:33 AM
    Right, loft bed is pretty much the same as a high sleeper according to Google. The thing I like about a mezzanine is that it doesn't have the obstructive poles in the middle of the room, but I think anything other than a loft bed isn't an option in my case. Thanks smoothy
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2014, 06:42 AM
    If you use the space under it for the right purpose... the poles would be less of an obstruction than they might be if it was used for certain other things.

Like putting your stereo, TV and bookshelves under it, Maybe the sofa, you wouldn't want to put the table you eat on under it. And even worse... using the space for nothing at all. Most wardrobes I've seen in Europe would not fit under it.

I assume you rent, but don't own this property.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 16, 2014, 07:12 AM
    Hi Seal Guy,

Many designs and ideas on the internet. Is this something of an idea for you?

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...&FORM=IQFRBA#a

Jul 16, 2014, 10:01 AM
    Hi talaniman! Ha, all the relationship people here! ;-). Cheers guys. I definitely like the first one but that ain't easy to build it seems. I think I'm gonna pay Ikea a visit

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Construction question : removal of mezzanine [ 1 Answers ]

If a mezzanine within a flat is removed - will the price of the flat fall as a result? The floor plan seems to count those sq. m. into the gross internal area.

I heard birds chirpings follow me inside my building until I reached my bedroom [ 5 Answers ]

Tonight I heard birds chirpings follow me from the inside my building until I reached my bedroom and closed the door behind me. I was standing in the hallways stairs slowly walking up to the sencond floorm but before reaching the last few steps my heart began to beat so fast, like if I were going...

What does a building manager charge for a condo building per issue? [ 0 Answers ]

We would like to hire a building manager for our condo complex. We already have a property management company, but they only look after the financial budgeting. We need someone to attend to any problems with the building like noise complaints, landscaping on a per call basis or a regular fixed...

What does a building manager charge for on call serices for a condo building? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been asked by a property management company what I would charge to a condo board for on call resolve to building maintenance problems, noise complaints etc. They want to be charged per issue. Some things would require going on site to meet the trades and some issues could be resolved by...

How to square and area for building a porch or building [ 1 Answers ]

How do you start from scratch and square up an area to build a porch or other building when there is no available reference point to start

View more questions Search