Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trevor moore Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2014, 09:47 AM
    1 electric switch working 3 independent light fixtures
    I would like to have 3 light fixtures hooked up to one electric switch. Having the capability of turning each on individually.

Thanks Much,
    T.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 15, 2014, 09:54 AM
    Can't be done, at least not with standard switches and wiring. To control three fixtures independently requires 3 on-off switches. They could all be mounted in one box, so that all there switches are mounted side-by-side.

Thinking outside the box: it woud be possible (in theory) to have a single rotary-stye switch with 8 positions, wired so that the 8 possible combinations for on-off of the three fixtures are available. But I doubt that's what you're looking for.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2014, 11:47 AM
    Could possibly run one hot and pigtail individual leads to pull chains on the lights. Not an easy solution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have multiple light fixtures on one switch [ 3 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I had a house built about 2 years ago and there is one thing that has been bugging me. We have 4 light fixtures run to one switch. Without ripping apart my house, is there and easy way so the first fixture is on it's own, and the other 3 are controlled by one switch! Thank you!...

Replaced light switch and now other fixtures quit working, what did I do wrong? [ 3 Answers ]

Replaced light switch in the bedroom, light works in room but it is tied to one breaker which operates the bedroom light, the kitchen light, the porch light and one outlet in the kitchen. The bedroom light works where I replaced the switch but now the other items on the breaker do not work. What...

One Switch, 4 light fixtures [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, I've read all the posts, I think this one is a good one... I have one switch, and 4 lights. Every time I flip the switch, I trip the breaker. Here is my diagram: --b-----sw------+-------+-------+-------+ ---------------------------------------------Ground --w------------- - ------ -...

Adding new light fixtures to existing switch [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to add 3 pendant lights to the same switch as a light in the room. The power source runs to the light first, then to the switch. I tapped into the wire from the switch to the light. I connected whites to whites, blacks to blacks, and grounds to grounds. Now the pre-existing light...

Seal draft in and around outlet and light-switch fixtures? [ 5 Answers ]

I am finishing a downstairs room. The exterior walls are wrapped and sided on the outside, insulated in the wall cavity, and the drywall is pretty well sealed. I am in Wyoming where it gets quite cold. I can feel a draft around the box (gap to drywall) as well as into the box itself. I think...

View more questions Search