Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    queentiyi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Maytag performa refrigerator
    I have a maytag performa model PSD264LGRW and the water line is leaking. Is there a way to turn off the water flow to the refrigerator without shutting off the main water valve?
    Thanks.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Apr 5, 2007, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by queentiyi
    i have a maytag performa model PSD264LGRW and the water line is leaking. is there a way to turn off the water flow to the refrigerator without shutting off the main water valve?
    thanks.
    I doubt it unless you see that you or someone had installed a small type water cutoff on or near the copper or plastic tubing. I assume there is no such cutoff since you didn't mention it. So, my answer would be no. I have always had to cut off the main water supply to repair / replace my line.
    gonewiththewind Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2007, 12:18 PM
    Not unless you put a valve in when you installed the frig. You could check and see if the water line is connected using a self taping valve. These are small valve like thing that strap around a normal size water pipe. You clamp them on and then tighten the valve. The valve stem has a needle tip that puncture the normal water pipe. When you turn the valve the other way the needle backs up out of the hole it make and water flows to your new line. Sometimes you can tighten the valve again and force the needle back into the hole it make and seal it. First you have to see if that is what they did. They you have to see if it will still work like a valve. I use one of these once. Never again.

It is not common for a frig to be connected to a water line with out a valve unless the person who put it in though thing last forever. If there is no valve you may want to put one in.
    RalphS Posts: 120, Reputation: 12

Apr 6, 2007, 06:04 PM
    I agree with both answers above, although having installed and serviced refrigerators with icemakers or water dispensers for over 35 years, I have NEVER seen one installed without some sort of shut-off valve. How would someone connect a 1/4 inch copper or plastic line to a much larger supply pipe without a valve. Sure, it can be done, but it certainly would be much simpler and safer to do the hook-up with a valve.
    Just one more thought. Are you sure the incoming water is the fault of the leak? Another possibility is that the defrost drain tube is clogged and if this is the case, the leak would not be constant, but only show up about every 8 hours.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag Performa Washing Machine [ 1 Answers ]

The machine's tub will not turn. If it might be the transmission, how do I test it? The motor is good ( I took the belt off & the motor works fine. Thanks for your help, Karl

Maytag Performa Dryer, Hot But Not Drying [ 5 Answers ]

We have a 10 year old Maytag Performa washer & dryer set. A few weeks ago, we noticed that upon starting the dryer, it made a horrible racket and then went back to normal within a few seconds. It gets hot, but the clothes are not really dry, even after a 70 minute cycle. Is this the fan,...

Maytag performa washer stopped spinning [ 1 Answers ]

The other day I was washing a load of laundry and I heard what I can only describe as a nasty grinding noise coming from my washer. I lifted the lid and noticed that the cloths inside weren't spinning. I checked this by closing the lid, and reopening it every few seconds, and the cloths were in the...

View more questions Search