Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laptop1 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2005, 04:23 PM
    HELP! Laptop will not load w/ME on startup
    I have a ibm think pad 390x 2626 running windows ME millennium. I was online and used the laptop all day.Shut it down properly and when I turned it on the following morning it would only boot up to the ibm thinkpad page with the message that says f1 for bios install. It will sit on that page and it will beep and it will sound like the HD kicks in but will do nothing. I tried the f1 to open bios and it will not let me do anything. I don't have a backup disk to reload anything this was purchased used. Can someone tell me how to fix this problem!! And get my laptop back up and running I need it for school and I'm aware I will lose my files. And if I don't have a disk can where can I get ME to reoad without losing a arm and a leg to get it LOL. Any help would be appreciated. :)
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2005, 05:47 AM
    Hmmm... Tricky one.

Have you tried putting in your Win ME CD in the drive when loading up. This might give you some commands from which you can either boot your PC (and hopefully find out what's wrong) or renistall Windows. Reinstalling Windows like this may fix the problem without losing your files.

If this was a desktop, I would suggest that maybe something has come loose. But on a laptop, is that even possible? My desktop PC would sometimes beep 4 times then just freeze on the BIOS if my graphics card was loose.

This isn't much help but next time you do get into Windows - start backing up your work! This kind of stuff happens far too often and nobody ever backs up their important information.

Feb 24, 2005, 05:56 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks Ltheobald for your reply. I'll try opening the laptop to see if there is anything loose and go from there. But as I said in the original question I do not have a reboot cd and I would like to know if there is a online site I could get a reboot or back up copy of ME that I could download... I can't get past the bios page on my laptop so I thought maybe I could dL a copy from my home PC... thanks again and have a blessed and wonderful day
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2005, 07:14 AM
    Laptop
    Hi,
    This can be devastating when there are no backups.

If you have no CD for Win ME, you might be able to download a boot disc from:

http://www.pchelplive.com/modules.ph...download&cid=1

Best of luck,
    fredg
    PS; I also suggest taking your laptop to a computer sales/repair store near you. They can suggest what to do and how much it would cost, if any.

Feb 24, 2005, 10:58 AM
    thanks fredg
    Thanks for your reply I tried the link thanks and it will not even boot up from a boot disc so I am thinking that something has came loose. This laptop is so complicated to get into lol I have taken the screws out of the back, and I don't see how it opens I tried popping the top open but it seems to be fused half way up.. so if u know how to open the casing on a thinkpad 390 x I need help don't want to break anything to force it open I'm sure when I find out ill feel like a big dummy :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Load calculation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Please advise me what are the factors considered for calculating the Tonnage Rate whilst selecting the AC units for Industry / office environment. Regards Pankaj

Glmlbact.exe keeps trying to load [ 2 Answers ]

I keep getting this message that says that glmlbact.exe failed to initialize because ace.dll could not be found. Some guy that came to our office to beef up our security said that it was a virus that he removed and now it keeps trying to start but since its gone, it cant... and he left it at...

Wind load [ 1 Answers ]

How can I calculate wind load on anchor bolts for chain link fence posts? Then, how to calculate same load if posts are anchored and buried in 30" of concrete?

Cpu load 100% [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there, Lately my PC has been running at 100% CPU Load constently. It is the 'System' process that is taking up the load. I tracked it down to the driver ACPI.sys, using process explorer. OS Windows XP Pro CPU P4 2.8Ghz Can anyone think of a way I can fix this problem?

Svchost.exe?  And startup but not in startup file? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, Can you tell me what svchost.exe is? I'm always getting a box saying it has generated errors and will be closed. Also, a lot of things start up without being in the startup file. Where does the computer get the command to start those things up? The registry or somewhere else? ...

View more questions Search