Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    troy00 Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2014, 06:57 PM
    Is this a loading bearing wall?
    Hi everyone. I have a question I'm hoping you'll be able to help me with. I want to knock down a partial wall in between two room..

It's a wall in between my kitchen and family room. However just over half the wall is has spindles on it. So... because of this.. I can't see how it would be a load bearing wall. But, to be sure.. I figured I would ask others their opinion.
    Please see the below pictures.

http://i.imgur.com/Pr8NcF4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QI8AqJZ.jpg

Thanks!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 11, 2014, 05:34 AM
    Definitely not a load bearing wall. However, though you didn't ask be aware that the enclosed beam up at the ceiling is in all likelihood load-bearing - so after knocking out the lower wall and spindles you will still have that beam separarting the two rooms.

I had the exact same situation in my home, with this type of knee wall separating the kitchen from family room. We took out the knee wall, and applied trim to the overhead beam to dress it up a bit. We also framed out the edges and trimmed to dress up the transition between the two rooms, and laid hardwood in both rooms to give it a continuous feel.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2014, 08:14 AM
    I would agree with ebaines. There is a supported header above the current opening which most likely supports the ceiling joists. Is your roof a truss design or stick built? The spindles are purely for esthetics and are not rated for load bearing.

Jul 11, 2014, 11:46 AM
    ma0641.. to answer your question.. when looking at the picture.. the room in the foreground of the picture is the kitchen.. and over that is a second floor with bedrooms and the like. The room in the background of the pic is a family room.. and over that is an attic.. with a truss design. Should this matter? I mean.. I couldn't imagine that the spindles would be able to support any significant weight..

Jul 11, 2014, 12:03 PM
    @ebaines thanks for your reply. Yeah.. I knew the above was a header.. and I was assuming that is what would be transferring the weight. I just wasn't 100% positive that the spindles weren't doing "something" in the way of load bearing. I'll have to do something like you said and figure out a good transition..
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2014, 05:44 PM
    I would open the wall up behind the 1/2 spindle and make sure the header is transferring back to the wall. If it is, you should be able to remove the spindles and knee wall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to support a load bearing wall, need engineer, cement wall [ 3 Answers ]

I want to remove about 6 feet from an interior wall. The rafters run parallel with the wall but the reason I think it's load-bearing is because one of the trusses rests on the middle of the wall with a lateral x across it. I have existing pictures and a drawing of "the existing" and what is...

Load bearing wall or not ? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm planning to open up a wall between my kitchen & living room. The wall is perpendicular to my rafters in which I have a gable roof. Is this wall a load bearing wall or not ? Thanks

Bowed Load Bearing Wall (Outside wall) [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings all, There is about a 8' section of outside wall / paneling in the den that is bowed to the bottom 4' of the paneled wall. It appears to me the water got in under the soffit and wet down the fibrous insulator board under the vinyl siding. Over time, the insulating board got...

Installing half wall in load bearing wall [ 3 Answers ]

We are attempting to make our kitchen open concept with our living/dining room by creating either a half wall or putting in a window (what is the correct name for that?) The wall is load bearing. Do we need a permit for that type of reno? What would be a realistic budget to set aside for that...

Load bearing wall [ 3 Answers ]

Can explain to me about the concept of load bearing wall and the characteristic?

View more questions Search