Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lyn2001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2014, 09:32 PM
    Ask immigration questions
    I have been in this country for 8 years, my dad filed and my petition was approved I am over 21. This year my priority date will be current can I adjust status in the u.s if I overstayed my visa?
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Jul 5, 2014, 10:36 PM
    Unless you're in the Immediate Relative category (spouse, child under 21, or parent of a U.S. citizen), you need to be in status at the time you file for Adjustment of Status to be able to file for Adjustment of Status.

Since you're over 21, that means you are not in the Immediate Relative category (unless your dad is a citizen and filed a petition for you while you were under 21, and you are still considered under 21 by CSPA; but if that were the case, you could have filed for Adjustment of Status immediately, at the same time as the petition; so we can conclude that this is not the case). And since you are not in status now, you are not eligible for Adjustment of Status.
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

Jul 10, 2014, 01:30 PM
    I agree with newacct.

It is unlikely, but depending on the exact facts of your case, including date of entry and what was filed for you and what was filed for your parents, you may be eligible under section 245(I). Otherwise, you will need a waiver to overcome the unlawful presence. This is a complicated, so I would advise consulting with an experienced immigration attorney.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Immigration ask questions [ 0 Answers ]

I am us citizen and I apply for two married sisters to come to usa and now my mom she be came us citizen .will be faster if my mom apply for them? I apply for them six years ago.

Ask immigration questions [ 1 Answers ]

Research Legal Advice > DUI / DWI > I had my 2nd dwi in New York (no felony) got my disposition letter today... details are below I had my 2nd dwi in New York (no felony) got my disposition letter today may 5th 2013 with one year conditional discharge Asked 1 minute ago - Ronkonkoma, NY...

Where to ask immigration questions [ 1 Answers ]

My wife won the us diversity lottery last year,but the problem is ,we have two kids but due some circumstances beyond our control the first child was not declared. Now we've been granted the IV but decided not to travel with the kids until we get settled in the US before they follow. Can we sponsor...

Immigration questions? [ 0 Answers ]

I came to US on May 2010 with a H4 Visa, both my husband's H1 and my H4 extensions were applied and received till 2013. Meanwhile my company processed my H1 Visa and I went to India in November 2010 got the H1 visa stamped and came back to US in February 2011 with a job. My project is getting over...

Immigration questions [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 27 year old divorce Mother of two daughters ages 5 and 11. We live in El Salvador and have never been in U.S. grounds. My father is a U.S. citizen and he wants to file a petition for my dauhgters and I. I want to know how long will it be until we receive our green card?

View more questions Search