Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SweetDee76 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2014, 07:24 PM
    Removing Carpet Beetles from Car
    Last summer I noticed quite a few black beetles In my car. Some were as tiny as pin heads, others up to a 1/4 in long. After researching the actual bug online I determined this was a carpet beetle. All I could figure was that earlier that spring I had helped someone move some boxes and they must have transferred from those boxes to my car. I have not noticed anything like it in my house however. So last summer I researched how to get rid of them and basically just kept my car and carpets/upholstery very clean, vacuuming regularly. I would hit the car wash vacuums several times a week. I pulled up the back covers of the floor of my SUV and discovered hundreds of what looked like "eggs" and larvae. Some live, some just skins, so again, I vacuumed so many times the guy at the car wash must assume I have some sort of OCD. I pulled out seats, vacuumed every square inch of that car. Then fall/winter came and I never saw anymore. We had a particularly harsh winter here with sometimes up to 14 days in a row at sub zero temps and my car stays outside. So of course I think the problem is solved. Wrong. First of June rolls around, and there they are again. The little black beetles that let me know they are back. So I am back to vacuuming ALL the time. Pulled up the back boards and found the eggs and larvae again! Vacuumed and vacuumed, sometimes 4 or 5 times a week. I'm seeing less of the adult bugs, but, they are still there. Mostly in the afternoon. I leave my windows down a bit so they can get out. I haven't tried any pesticides or "at home remedies" because it IS my car and my children ride in it everyday. Someone suggested boric acid powder so I did recently lightly dust that in the areas I was finding the eggs and larvae. That has been about a week ago. Still seeing adult beetles everyday. Can't tell if the quantity has decreased or not and STILL vacuuming like a mad woman. Keeping my car spotless, nothing is working. Is it just time to get rid of the car? Or pay a professional to make his attempt to get rid of them? I wouldn't feel right trading in my car without mentioning the bugs. So I'm kind of at a loss here. I don't want them to eventually end up in my house and I'm tired of kids screaming every time they see a bug. Any help or information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for reading.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 6, 2014, 02:08 AM
    Vacuuming is going to be problematic in a vehicle because the carpeting is so often overlaid by the plastic cab elements such as the covers for the doorframes and consoles. Black Carpet Beetles prefer to lay their eggs along the edges of carpeting for that very reason. There are pesticide sprays that are safe for use in areas with a heavy usage by children. There are even pesticides safe to use ON children.

My suggestions would be, in order:

• Have the car upholstery professionally steam cleaned. It will take all day but they will get under the plastics.

• Look into the "essential oil" pesticides that use cedar oil or eucalyptus oil as an active ingredient. Check to see if they're labeled for carpet beetles.

• Check pet sprays. If it will stop fleas, carpet beetles should be child's play.

• Ask local exterminators if they will consider treating a car. Many won't.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm removing carpet from a 2nd floor bathroom to do a concrete stain. [ 6 Answers ]

There isn't concrete under the rug but wood. Is the wood the carpet is tacked to covering the concrete?"

Removing carpet from hardwood [ 3 Answers ]

We just ripped up the carpet and padding in our living room (actually, she ripped up everything except under the TV while I was at work yesterday), and besides being stapled down, the padding appears to have been glued down in spots. The house was built in about 1950, and I think the carpet has...

Removing old floor tiles under carpet, black stuff [ 3 Answers ]

I took over an old house that had industrial carpet glued to the floor, after cutting and pulling this all up some of the floor tiles (did not know this was under it) came up also. So I started to pull up the old floor vinyl tiles. Now some of them are pretty tough to remove and I have to chip it...

Removing carpet adhesive from concrete [ 3 Answers ]

What do you suggest to remove glue and carpet remnants from a concrete porch? The old carpet was loose in some areas and also very worn, it had been down for about 15 years. We pulled the carpet up, but was left with the glue and remnants of carpet. I have been told to use denatured alcohol or...

Carpet Beetles [ 3 Answers ]

I have about a week left in my apartment but just recently discovered what I thought were worms in my bed, closet, and on the carpeting. They are very tiny and a yellowish/orange color. I have found only a handful - maybe 2 alive and the other were dead. I did a search online, and it appears these...

View more questions Search