Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ferrari91169 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2014, 07:07 PM
    I have a question about max electricity usage of a Winow A/C. Thanks!
    Question about electricity usage.

Hi, I recently installed a Window A/C in my home, and was wondering if someone could provide me some answers to a couple questions.

So, as I understand it, to find out the cost of running my A/C, I would take the Amps and Volts, multiply them together, and then divide by 1,000 to get the kWh.

In this case, the sticker on my Window A/C rates it at 4.5 Amps, and 115 Volts. So would this mean the max amount of power it can draw is:

4.5 x 115 / 1,000 = 0.5175 kWh ?

Then I would multiply that by how many hours per day I plan to use the A/C. For instance:

0.5175 x 8 = 4.14 kWh ?

So, the max I could use in 8 hours time is 4.14 kWh. Is this correct?

There is no possible way that the A/C could draw more power than that, correct?

So, assuming that is correct, the max I pay per kWh on Tier 4 is $0.35. That means the most it could cost per 8 hours is ~$1.45, again, correct?

So say in a 30-day period, if I run this A/C 8 hours per day, it should roughly equal about ~24.2 kWh, or $43.47 total for the month, correct?

Basically, the biggest thing I'd like to know, is if there's any possible way that the A/C could use more than 0.5175 kWh (per hour). It seems to me that it would not be able to do that in any way, and if it attempted to do so it would either trip a breaker, start a fire, or blow up. Sorry if any of those are incorrect, I don't have much (if any) knowledge in this area, those would just be my guesses.

Just trying to make sure I know how my different appliances run and how much money they cost so I can attempt to keep a low power bill and not use up as much energy.

Thanks for any help!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2014, 07:22 PM
    Or you could go to Home Depot or a number of other places and buy something calles a Kill-a-watt, there are others that work like it that accurately measure how much a device pugged in through it uses over a period.

Because if ANY assumption is incorrect... then all your math is going to be off.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2014, 11:00 AM
    Not quite. There are more factors than just a label. For example, startup amperage is always higher. Any resulting drop in voltage, during say a brownout, will increase amperage. Tripping a breaker has no bearing on the KWH, only Amperage. It will not start a fire or blow up. Any factor that causes the AC to run harder will increase amperage draw. So, your numbers are probably close but I would err on a higher usage KWH. Must be a fairly small unit at only 4.5 Amps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grundfos pump on demand electricity usage [ 1 Answers ]

I swithched from a grundfos pump on demand to a jet pump / pressure tank system thinking I would save electricity since the grundfos starts up every time water is called for. Does anyone know if I did the right thing or if I wasted my time and money?

Electrical usage question [ 16 Answers ]

My husband and I lived in our single family house for 25 years and he always complained about our electricity bills but never did anything about them. We're now divorced: I've kept the house, am living here alone and am paying all the bills. I got my first electric bill this month and about had a...

Mesure electricity usage over time by outlet [ 1 Answers ]

We have a house member who does not understand the effect on our electric bill of running his TV and space heater when not really using or needing them. We need proof of how much power he consumes. Is there a meter that can be plugged into an outlet that shows the KWHs used over a period? If...

Any way to measure electricity usage by circuit [ 13 Answers ]

My electric bill has been really high! Sometimes reaching over $600 for a 2400 sq ft house. I thought it was the cost of electricity and my family constantly using the central air conditioner. However last month due to some remodeling my central air system has been disconnected and my bill only...

Home a/c not cooling, but electricity usage tripled in 1 month [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, 3 weeks ago our heatpump a/c quit cooling. At that time the outside unit did not go off when turned off at t-stat. Installed new t-stat. Blowing air but still not cooling. But outside unit turns off when turned off at t-stat, Checked electricity everywhere, installed new capacitor because...

View more questions Search