Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brendalou903 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2014, 02:00 PM
    Court ordered garnishment
    I have been court ordered to sell my house by family court judge, pursuant to property settlement. It is listed on the market. My ex is making the payments because I do not have enough income. I have paid all of the taxes. I still live here because I have no where to go. I never got a dime, and the court has more or less rendered me homeless. Ex is threatening to take me back in court and attach my social security. Can he do that? He has tons of money and two homes.I have nothing and homeless. I don't even get enough social security to rent a home to live in. How does this work?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 5, 2014, 02:06 PM
    Part of the problem is going to be that your still paying rent now if your home has been ordered to be sold. You need to get out as soon as you can. If your having trouble finding a place then maybe you might try looking for a roomate that you can take on to help with rental expenses.

It is not likely that they are going to touch your SSI if it is your sole source of income. Mostly it will depend on what type of social security it really is. Also for living in your home you may be charged rent back fees that will be taken when the house closes so dont expect everything to sail smoothly until it is all said and done.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 5, 2014, 02:07 PM
    So let me guess, he had a divorce lawyer and you didn't. I'm wondering how you got such a bad settlement.

I can tell you he can't touch your social security. But I think you need to consult with an attorney to see why you got nothing from the divorce.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 7, 2014, 09:28 AM
    I can tell you he can't touch your social security.
    Directly from the Social Security administration, true, but if the funds are deposited in a bank account, the husband can levy on that account. At that point the funds would be frozen until OP can establish that they are exempt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Court ordered alcohol testing two kinds she ordered a binge test [ 1 Answers ]

My husband an j ARE GOING THROUGH A DIVORCE.hE is fs fighting me for full custody today he told the mediator I drank 20 beers every other day.She said she would order a binge alcohol hair test.I have drank three times in ninety days.Can you explain this test and the results?

As a defendant in court the judge ordered me to return to court to PROVE my innocence [ 2 Answers ]

Am I missing something? Long story short I've been harassed for years with the worst part being called into court by this psycho. The lawyers and judge are "good old boys" and I'm screwed. The icing on the cake was my accuser blaming me because she rear ended someone. In court she stated I must...

Court Ordered wage garnishment in NJ not deducted from [ 1 Answers ]

My husbands wages were ordered to be garnished through a Civil Action filed by the Court on 2/28/08. This happened as a result of him co-sigining on a car loan & the primary failed to make payments on the car. Husbands employer has not contacted him advising they received the notice to garnish...

What do you do when the court ordered supevisor does not follow court order? [ 8 Answers ]

My children have been having supervised visits every other weekend on sat for one hour. This started in late August. The judge granted supervised visit's for the father every fri night and sat afternoon for one hour each. The father said he only wanted every other weekend to the supervisor, so...

Court ordered Mediation vs Court Trial [ 4 Answers ]

Hello again, I'm going into a mediation next month concerning a past credit card debt that I am being sued for. I plan on using the SOL defense as the date of last activity falls past the statute date. Anyhow, I was wondering what the difference between a Court ordered mediation and a normal...

View more questions Search