Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djkelly Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2014, 05:08 AM
    Existing ceiling fan
    We have a ceiling fan that was in what used to be a dining room, but is now a studio and we removed the light. We need to find a cover plate for the electrical, but have not had any luck thus far. 3" in diameter and has two holes.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2014, 08:58 AM
    Home Depot and Lowe's carry them, I just installed one a couple of days ago. 3" is an old box and you will need to use a cross bar. Here is an example.
    Flat White Ceiling Blank-up Canopy for Raised Ring or 3-1/2" Box

Jul 9, 2014, 04:11 AM
    Thanks but need to add a picture to better describe issue. Not quite what I was getting at.
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2014, 03:16 PM
    Not sure what ceiling box you have. As I noted, older 50's vintage houses had 3" boxes. Give us a better explanation.
    Studs ad Posts: 134, Reputation: 9

Jul 9, 2014, 07:29 PM
    Are your referring to the box that is below the fan where you removed the light and not the ceiling box?

Jul 9, 2014, 10:06 PM
    Exactly... I have been trying to add a picture but cannot figure out how.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 10, 2014, 01:14 AM
    If you look below the box you are typing in you will see an "Go Advanced" button, click that and you will be taken to a screen that lets you post your pictures.
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2014, 01:36 PM
    OK, now that is clearer. I'd just cut and tape a piece of white poster board over the hole. The part you are looking for may be brand specific and hard to find.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a ceiling fan with remote to an existing junction box. Need some help. [ 0 Answers ]

The box has three sets of wires: live (red, black, white), wall switch (black, white) and junction (black, white, red). At this moment all whites are connected, two blacks are, an black and red are, and one red wire is free.

Wiring remote in an existing Ceiling Fan [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to wire a remote control for an existing ceiling fan. Problem is light kit plugs into a wiring harness coming from the fan. At the canopy where remote is to installed there is only 3 wires coming out of the fan to the power supply. A black wire, A white wire and a black & white wire. On...

Wiring ceiling fan to existing switch [ 2 Answers ]

I have a wall switch that controls an outlet I'm trying to wire the ceiling fan I installed to this switch its not working out need help

Adding light kit to existing ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

I just moved into a house built in 2004. I am attempting to install a basic ceiling fan light kit with a pull chain to the ceiling fan on the patio leading from the dining area. I have followed the below referenced five (5) steps exactly and cannot obtain any lighting from the new ceiling fan...

Fan Install of Existing ceiling lights [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a switch that controls 2 lights in my living room, I would like to install a fan between the lights. Is there any way that I can tap juice off those lights without running another wire to an individual switch. The fan is remote controlled. My fear is that I obviously can't turn...

View more questions Search